Chapter 5

<<<~Chapter 5~>>>

"Somebody get me that wet towel! I need it now!"

"I need a stretcher over here!"

Sebastian and Nico hovered with worry as Luke was whisked away by a bunch of Apollo campers. After going back home, they'd immediately taken Luke straight to the Apollo hospital wing. Dozens of medics rushed about and they had to keep dodging out of everyone's path.

"Where's that IV tube?"

"Did you get the breather?"

"Secure him."

Luke's skin had turned to a pasty white color and his breathing had turned shallow as he lay on a soft cotton-sheeted bed. His condition judging by the looks on the faces of the medics was not good at all.

Both Sebastian and Nico were miserable. All they could do was stand and watch Luke suffer. Sebastian could almost swear that his uncle was having a panic attack.

"This is all my fault." Nico was muttering under his breath. "Should have closed the entryway behind me. Now Percy will hate me forever. Curse the gods..."

But Sebastian knew something like this had happened to Luke before.

When Luke had been about five years old and Sebastian eight years old, they had gone to play in a park in the Roman camp. He and Luke had been on the swings playing when some mean kid had come over and wanted the swing.

Impatient, the kid pushed Luke off the swing, and Luke had flown off screaming and crashed into the metal slide.

Their parents had rushed over quickly and fed him ambrosia to heal his wounds, but that night Luke came down with a burning fever. That was the problem. He should have been fine after getting ambrosia.

They'd returned to their quarters in the heart of the Roman camp without a word to the authorities. Sebastian overheard his parents talking that night in hushed tones in their bedroom and crept to the door to listen.

Sebastian realized that Luke was with them and that he was in a very bad state, coughing nonstop and moaning fitfully. All his father and mother could do was whisper comforting words.

"What will we do, Percy?" His mother had whispered quietly once Luke had stopped coughing. Sebastian could tell by the sound of her voice that she was on the verge of tears. "At this rate..." Her voice lowered beyond Sebastian's hearing.

"We'll just have to fight through it, Annabeth." His dad squeezed her hand tightly. "For both of our children's sake, we have to stay strong. Together."

Then, Sebastian's foot creaked on the wooden floor and he was no longer hidden.

"Percy, hon, could you make sure Sebastian gets tucked in? I don't want him to be tired tomorrow." His mother said to his father.

"Sure, dear, take care of Luke. I'll be right back."

His father had then come out and shooed Sebastian away, but not before he saw the once-white towels that lay on the ground next to his mother's chair.

They had been covered in blood.

Now it was happening all over again.

"Where is he? Where's my son?" A woman with beautiful blonde hair came rushing through the hospital doors, a panicked look on her face.

She noticed Sebastian and raced over, placing her hands on his shoulders gently and checking him over for injuries. "Sebastian? Where's your brother?"

Refusing to look his mom in the eyes, Sebastian pointed to Luke lying in the bed.

"Oh..." Annabeth Jackson took her youngest son's hands in hers and put her cheek against them, feeling their warmth. "Thank the gods he's alright."

Sebastian felt a hand on his shoulder as he watched silently. He looked up to see his dad. "You've done your best, Sebastian. It's ok."

One of the tree nymph nurses whispered to her colleague. "Oh my gods, it's Perseus Jackson." They both stared in awe and giggled at each other.

But Sebastian's famous dad ignored them and instead went to his wife's side. "Annabeth." He said calmly. "We need to take him now."

She nodded, still gripping Luke's hands. "Yes. I know."

She turned to Nico. Sebastian had forgotten he was still there, lurking in the shadows. "Nico. This isn't your fault. You have to know that."

His uncle didn't reply but his eyes turned dark.

"I need you to take care of Sebastian while we're away."

That got his attention.

"Where are you going?"

She sighed. "We're taking Luke to a place we think may help him." She bit her lip. "Please Nico. Just do us this one favor. Don't let Sebastian out of your sight."

Sebastian's fist tightened in anger. Did they not trust him anymore?

A glass of water next to Luke's bed exploded and sent shards flying across the floor. Everyone was silent.

"Sebastian." His dad said sternly. "Control it."

Sebastian sighed and uncurled his hands. He looked at the ground guiltily.

"We need someone to watch over you and take care of the house. We know you can take care of yourself but we need to make sure someone can stay with you so we don't have to worry. Do you understand?" His mother's stormy gray eyes stared into his, full of concern.

Sebastian gave a small nod. She gave him a tight hug and then stepped back to join his father.

"We'll be back in a few days." His father pulled out a pearl from his shirt pocket. He glanced back one more time at his oldest son and nodded. "Stay safe. We love you."

He threw down the pearl and in a flash of smoke they were gone.

<<<~Chapter 5 End~>>>

A/N

*Runs around screaming* I'MSORRYI'MSORRY I couldn't help it! Luke has such a tragic childhood. But it's ok cuz now Nico has become a babysitter! XD Leave comments, and votes, and stuff! I really appreciate it! This chapter may be subject to editing later on.

Scrumdiddlyumptious yay,

Senny