Chapter 1

<<<~Chapter 1~>>>

One thing for sure Sebastian Jackson didn't want to do was go down into the dark, smelly, endless pit of Tartarus. Much less for a camp fieldtrip. Why couldn't they have taken a nice normal fieldtrip to a Starbucks instead?

He sighed and glanced at his waterproof watch as he stood waiting in front of his friend Rick's cabin. Maybe if his friend procrastinated enough they would actually be able to ditch the trip. But, of course, his stupid counselour HAD to make it count as a grade for participation. So there was no getting out of it.

"Hurry up, you slowpoke!" he yelled into the open doorway. "If I don't get this grade, my mom's gonna ground me till I'm thirty!"

"Yeah, yeah. Oh, come on, Bast. Why does your mom have to be the daughter of Athena?" came back a muffled voice. Creaks and groans of metal could be heard spilling through the door.

"There's no helping it, Rick. Now hurry up and get your lazy bum out of there."

The child of Hephaestus's head finally appeared from behind a huge, smoking hunk of metal of a machine that completely blocked the doorway. "Do you really want this to blow up while we're away just because of a stupid grade?"

Sebastian rolled his eyes. "My mom's going to blow you up along with all your other little inventions if you make me fail this grade."

"Fine, fine," Rick muttered as he tossed a damp towel over the machine. It sputtered in protest and let out a huge spew of foul-smelling smoke. "Don't worry, baby, you'll be fine." He pat it a goodbye and hurried out the door to Sebastian.

"Let's go."

*******************************************************

"Everyone stays in single file!" barked our counselor, Coach Hedge, a satyr. "I'd stick close, maybe even hold hands if you want to get all lovey-dovey in this pit." He chuckled. "But don't get disappointed if you get tired of them after being stuck in nothing for a few thousand years. Ok, move it, cupcakes!"

Several of the campers whispered to each other as they descended into Tartarus. Thick fumes of red clouds hovered around their heads as they navigated the rocky terrain. Even Rick seemed nervous as he walked in front of Sebastian. "Why does it have to be so dark?" he complained loudly.

"Hey! You back there! I said single file didn't I? Keep your mouth shut unless you want to attract some monsters!" yelled Coach Hedge, although he seemed to be happy enough to run into some monsters. He stopped the group.

"Did everyone bring along their notebooks and a weapon?"

A murmur rippled through the group because, of course, no one knew that they were supposed to bring either of those.

Except for Sebastian. Like his mom would ever let him go anywhere without either of those. Sometimes it paid to have a smart mom.

Before he could raise my hand to tell the coach though, an annoyingly girly voice rang out through the dark.

"Coach Hedge, I brought them!" They all turned to the direction of the voice.

"Oh, no," Rick groaned in front of Sebastian.

"What?" he whispered back.

"It's Mina. She's the daughter of Clarisse, a child of Ares. She's also smart and popular, but EXTREMELY snobby."

"Good job, Mina! Extra credit for you," Coach Hedge said. He turned his attention to the rest of the group.

"Number one rule for demigods ever going anywhere outside of camp is bring a weapon. Otherwise, you cupcakes wouldn't last a day. Luckily, I've made special arrangements for you kiddies so that, as long as we stay on track, we shouldn't run into any rogues."

He seemed kind of disappointed about that. Then, he squinted at Rick. "Unless we're too noisy."

They continued on through the dark. After a couple of minutes, the whole group seemed to relax, as they hadn't run into monsters yet, so that seemed to be a good sign.

Two boys behind Sebastian began laughing and messing around, pushing and shoving each other dangerously close to the edges of cliffs. He wished he could tell them to shut up. With them around, monsters from all over Tartarus would probably be drawn here, especially with this many demigods all in one place.

Sebastian began feeling sweat dripping down his face; he wiped it off with one hand and tried to concentrate on taking notes on the density and formation of the pit they were in.

Wait, what? That wasn't sweat dripping down his back. It was-

"Monster!" he yelled, leaping back. Everyone screamed and scattered in all directions. The Lernaean Hydra clung in the dark above them as it hissed and spit down at the panicked campers. It dropped down to the floor and snapped at Sebastian, causing him to fall backwards onto the ground. It's gassy breath came out in a green fog, and immediately Sebastian's lungs began to burn, causing him to cough and sputter.

"Whoa! Is that a hydra?" yelled Coach Hedge from the front. "Get behind me, cupcakes, and try to not breathe in the monster's breath. Trust me, it'll be the last bad breath you ever smell!"

He leaped forward in front of Sebastian and charged at the hydra with his club, grinning like a maniac. "The cow says MOO!!!!!!"

<<<~Chapter 1 End~>>>

A/N

Hey guys! ANYONE LIKE COOKES???? ;) Please comment/review below and tell me what you think of the story so far! I love any feedback. Don't forget to follow and vote if you like it. Thanks Jellybeans, Gabe, and Tweety. Coach Hedge returns!

With unicorns and rainbows, Senny