Prologue

<<<~Prologue~>>>

Manhatten, NY, 1937

Down one of the dark, dank alleyways of Manhatten, the slim out-of-place figure of a woman dashed quickly and silently in the shadows. Carrying a small bundle, she lightly tapped twice on a narrow, faded-blue door, glancing behind her hastily to check for anyone following. The door cracked open an inch or two.

"You brought her...?" came a whispery, soft voice.

"Yes," the woman replied breathlessly. "Hurry, you must take her. They found out last night. Th-they've already taken away Noah. Go, before they-"

She was cut off by a sudden boom that sounded a few streets away. Then an unearthly hiss came from the end of the alley.

"You cannot escape, Madame Night. We will be rid of this abomination you have brought into this world."

Immediately, the woman took off in the other direction, clutching the bundle she held even tighter. She dashed through puddles and between buildings until she reached the locked doors of the still-lit Empire State building.

Pulling a dark knife of shadows from thin air, she deftly cut an opening of black flames through the door that immediately closed up after she walked into the building, leaving no evidence of any harm to the door.

No one was to be seen in the eeriely quiet building. She hurried into the elevator and pressed a glowing hand to the metal panel, sending the elevator up twice as fast as it should have been able to go. Before it could reach the 600th floor, the elevator stopped abruptly with a crash and creaky groan.

The woman shut her eyes and quickly prayed. "Sister, please guide us thro-"

All of a sudden, the metal doors were wrenched open by two enormous claws, bending open the metal frame with a crunch. One claw grabbed the woman by her waist and tossed her across the fancily-decorated room where she hit the wall with a sickening thud as crumpled to the floor. Shattered glass littered the floor around her slumped body.

Her raven-black hair fell across her beautiful but scratched and bloody face as she weakly got to her feet. She still held onto the bundle as if it were her life as she limped out onto the open balcony and into the cold night air.

"Do not try and escape," growled the same inhuman voice from before.

She laughed half-heartedly at the creature. "I am not stupid enough to think I can escape."

"Come with us peacefully with the abomination and you will not recieve a punishment from our lord."

She laughed again. "My father? He cannot do anything to me. My role cannot be fulfilled by anyone else. And how can I be harmed from here? He has no substance. Even I may only become this form in a very rare circumstance."

"Hand over the child," The creature hissed with rising impatience.

The woman genuinely smiled this time. "What child might I have?"

The being's eyes widened. "You..."

The cloth of the woman's bundle fluttered away in the wind, revealing the absence of what it should have held. Her eyes shined bright with happiness as she grinned and climbed over the iron railing of the balcony.

"My beautiful child is somewhere you will never find her. Neither you nor my father can reach her where she is now. The contract of property forbids it. She is free," she paused as her hair whipped around her already-healed face, and smiled. "And so am I."

The foul creature's howls were lost in the night as the woman plummeted down and sank through the pavement, disappearing just as the sun's rays peeked over the glassy, ocean horizon.

<<<~End Prologue~>>>

A/N

Hello to my readers! I love any comments and reviews even if they are bad because I can always, ALWAYS improve my writing! I'd like to really enjoy the experience I will have with this new series, so anything I get would really inspire me to do more! Special thanks to Gabe (EagleEye) and Jellybeans! :) Tweety, you are an awesome friend! Thanks!

With friendship and unicorns, Senny