57. The Last Dessert

I'll be accepting banners like these! If you want to make one, you can send them at darlinggirlday@gmail.com  I will be featuring all of them in the previous chapters! Do add your username somewhere in the banner xx

com  I will be featuring all of them in the previous chapters! Do add your username somewhere in the banner xx

The silver trophy gleamed under the artificial lights. It was nestled above our luggage, catching everyone's attention as Brandon pushed the trolley towards the check-in point. Bea and I waited as Brandon sent in our luggage and dealt with the airport attendant.

Bea faced me. "Are you still upset? Thirty-five thousand dollars aren't that bad."

I smiled. "Nah, I'm okay. There's the scholarship too." The grand prize had been fifty thousand dollars, but the second prize wasn't any less hefty. The money had been raised considerably this year, attempting to take this baking competition to a higher international level. It wasn't as crazy as the MaterChef's prize money, but these many thousand dollars were a lot. I had suggested to split up the money between the three of us but Brandon and Bea weren't budging.

The thought of fifteen thousand dollars less than the first place wasn't that depressing than losing the winning title. That's what ate me. Not the money. Tony's offer of a scholarship had softened the blow at that time, but it had returned full-force when we had reached back at the hotel last night.

I couldn't do much about it though. Everyone had judged us fairly on the basis of our wedding-themed cake and our quiz performance, so I couldn't be salty about it. Sarah deserved it for the time and effort she had put into each cake and the whole competition, whereas I had been running around with the mafia, running away from an evil father, and saving a damsel-in-distress. That deserved its own award too, right?

For me, earning that scholarship had been the highlight. I knew that the financial situation at my home wouldn't have allowed me to pursue my higher studies; not without money sucking educational loans. My mother would have insisted but I knew it would have been a difficult road.

Bea sighed, breaking my train of thought. "It's taking him a while." She pointed towards Brandon, and I nodded.

Brandon had been good. When I had broken down in tears while talking to my mother on the phone last night, he had taken over the call and boasted about me. How sweet was that? She already loved him, heck, she had been shoving him in my face since the starting of the break. I couldn't disagree with her choices of men anymore. Especially this one. However he had tried to act as a macho-man, I'm-the-bad-boy in the starting, I knew he wasn't anything like that. He adored cats! (a simple reason, but an effective one.)

The fact that this was just the starting of our relationship, and the more concerning point on how far we had come along in this short period of time... that was frightening.

I knew if this competition had not been there, if we had never ended up in Singapore in the first place, I might have started to like him. That's it. It was hard for me to imagine coming back home for the spring break and going back for my senior year with a boyfriend in tow. My few friends would have gone mad with their laughter. Well, if nothing like this would have happened. For now, it wouldn't be a surprise anymore considering everything had already been broadcasted on national television. I mean how could it get any crazier than this?!