35. Cassata Siciliana

Way to go, Ty, the only thing you were responsible for, you messed it up before you even started!

I crouched down, hiding my face behind my hands and under the table before he could notice me. Blood pumped into my ears, and I hyperventilated. The sole purpose of hiding was to avoid his attention. But this probably had the opposite effect if I could go by the curious stares and glances I was receiving.

My lips swelled as my teeth bit into them, and I kicked the table in frustration. Pain shot up my leg and I hissed in a breath. This time biting my lip for a different reason, enduring the sweet pain as a punishment for the mess I'd made.

"Shit," Brandon muttered, elongating the word to show his astonishment. I stilled, stopping my funny I-broke-my-toe dance.

"I know." I gritted my teeth, not having the courage to face anyone. Alard might not have noticed me this time, but it would happen sooner or later. Thinking this was the time to say my last words, I blurted, "Tell mom I really love her. And you too, take care of yourself."

"The world is not going to end. Stop being dramatic and look up," he said, poking my head to call me.

I rolled my eyes and did as he said. Expecting everyone's eyes on me, it was a pleasant surprise when that didn't happen. Brandon shook his head, muffling his laughter. I gave him a shy smile, and he returned it with his all-knowing one. Putting my hair behind my ears, I kept my chin up. Alard wasn't looking at me anymore, which was a relief, but someone else held his attention.

"Bella looks like she'll murder someone."

"By that someone you mean Alard." I said, frowning. Concern etched over Brandon's and my face, hoping that Bella won't do anything rash.

Alard's expression was unreadable behind those sunglasses. I saw Bella hesitate, but he turned away as soon as she tried to take a step forward. Her face twisted, but the camera wasn't focused on them as they announced the task today.

Oh right, the task!

"--make a new dish. The winning dish will be added to the menu of the twenty leading chains of Alard's restaurants." I caught it just in time. My stomach fluttered at the prize. Brandon and I shared a look, and I knew I would have to be the one to come up with a decent idea.

"The five worst dishes will go into the elimination round. Three will be eliminated," Tony said, giving a sympathetic smile. Which, I had to squint a lot to see under the sun and the respectable distance. Speakers did a decent job carrying his voice though.

"And it's with regret I have to inform you that Bella won't be participating in this round because her partner is ill."

"Such a pity, isn't it?" Tony remarked, turning towards Alard.

"But she'll be promoted to the next round by using her safety pin," Mark announced, all smiles. Bella stepped forward, waving her safety pin in her hand and putting it on her apron.

"We hope that Giulia gets well soon." Tony shook her hand and pointed towards a stool a few meters away from their table. Bella sat down gingerly, her face strained towards her father.

"Are you disappointed Mr. Rousell? Not being able to judge your daughter's baking?" Allard laughed at the question, walking towards Bella and slapping her back in the most comical manner.

"It turned out for well," he spoke in a deep gruff voice, "Hope your friend is all right."

Bella nodded, giving him a tight lipped smile.

"We wish so too," Mark added, turning towards us, he continued, "So everyone, you have one hour and thirty minutes to come up with a dish that can impress him. Best of luck everyone, your time starts now!"