4. Blueberry Ice Cream

"Ty?" I heard my mother's voice, with the sound of her footsteps coming upstairs and closer to my room.

My eyes darted towards Brandon standing in front of me, in my bedroom, in the middle of the night, with my mom coming upstairs.

Uh-oh. This was not supposed to happen.

I tried to ignore the growing knot forming in my stomach, but my body was already on high alert. Blood pumped in my veins at twice the normal pace, and I took a deep breath before I exploded with panic. However cool my mother was, there was no way she would be approving of this.

Brandon still stood there, looking confused, but was thankfully quiet. I grabbed his arm, more tightly than intended.

"Do you want to get chopped to death tonight?" I hissed, and he gave me a shake of his head, his eyes wide as he understood what was happening. "Good. Now go and hide somewhere!"

I moved my hands wildly around my room, gesturing him to hide. My hands were shaking with nervousness as he tried to look for a place to hide. Why couldn't he hurry up?

"Where?" he said in urgency, looking equally flustered.

My heart skipped a beat when I heard her call out again, and quickly grabbed his hand and dragged him behind me. "Quick! Go in!" I motioned towards the bathroom, and Brandon fumbled with the knob.

Just why did she have to come upstairs this late, when she had never done so in the past? And just my luck that this was happening when he was in my room. I pushed Brandon away, as he kept up the struggle with the door handle. If I didn't know better, I could have mistaken this as Brandon's attempt at a new prank.

The door opened with one flick of my hand, and I pulled him inside. My bedroom door opened simultaneously as I closed the bathroom door.

"Ty?" I heard my mother enter the bedroom, and I swallowed to keep the nervousness down. Skipping back to the bathtub, I quickly turned on the shower.

"Mom?" I called out as if I was surprised to hear her. I looked to my side and saw that Brandon was leaning on the sidewall, smirking down at me. No more worried about getting chopped to death, was he? His eyes were filled with amusement at my situation. Noticing my gaze, he raised an eyebrow at me, pointing towards something.

I frowned, following his instruction. Traveling down his arm, to his wrist, and then to his hand clutched in mine. I yelped, covering my mouth with my other hand, and snatching the other hand out of his. I kicked myself mentally, scrunching up my face to avoid looking at him. Could this get more embarrassing?

Brandon chuckled, maybe noticing my distress, but I was fast to shush him. This was already too much drama for my heart and he was not helping at all. 

A knock on the door. "Are you in the bathroom?" she asked me from the other side. Taking a deep breath, and placing a finger on Brandon's lips to keep him quiet, I readied myself.

"Yeah?" I asked in a tone to ask for her purpose.

"Oh. Did your periods start?" she asked, and I blushed, completely avoiding looking Brandon in his eyes. If I could just trade my soul to be anywhere but here.

Embarrassing? I spoke too soon.

Torture to my lips, and brain, I groaned out, "No, mom! It's not due yet. Can you keep it down?"

My mother was the most-embarrassing-situations-magnet seriously! Just why did she have to ask that right now? 

"Oh, okay. I came to tell you that I am going to the fruit market," she paused, and I panicked, thinking she somehow knew Brandon was in here with me. "It's four right now, so I want to finish work early. We can talk then."