/Chapter Fifteen/ The Recovery Mission/

Sorry I took ages :S Hope this is okay!!!!!!!

Enjoy!

________________________

Chapter Fifthteen: The Recovery Mission.

My eyes fluttered open at the sound of horses stirring awake in the surrounding stables and I immediately began to stretch my tired muscles. There were a few yawns amongst the horses which made me smile and then began to trot around, stretching their muscles. I liked the atmosphere around me right now. Staying with the horses is a good experience- do not mock me, it is true. They are just like humans in ways – they get hungry, they moan, the envy things others have and they can feel different emotions. There were a lot of strong emotions swirling around the room – some were annoyed to have woken up, others were excited for a new day and the odd one or two was depressed to be away from another. We were all on the same page which makes me think we are not all that different. I was surrounded by beautiful tamed horse, I wanted to tend to them and ride every single horse. Maybe I could later – after all, I do own the stables and the horses.

I lay there in the hay, my torso on top of mother’s slumbering form, staring at the roof. It was homed to a few owls, sleeping peacefully in little clusters that looked like different families. I sighed; Alexander would be going crazy over the sight of in his eyes ‘the vermin’ overhead. I smiled remembering him frantically swatting pigeons away when we first met in the palace gardens. When I bring him back, I think we will release doves when we are married like the wedding planners suggested. I could imagine my love, squirming at the sight of the doves, holding onto me for protection. I wanted his arms around me again, now would be wonderful as it is a bit chilly in the mornings. My heart fluttered at the thought. Stop it Mercy! I thought to myself before I drifted into a deluded fantasy of Alexander and I that I would regret later. You’ll have him again soon, I told myself sternly just about believing myself.

I sat up from mother’s back and arched my stiff back. Maybe sleeping draped over a horse all night was not the best of ideas. Suddenly, I felt slight movement on my chest just below the material of my dress. It started as a tickle and I started to giggle but then my chest began to sting in pain. Something was…biting me?

I pulled at the top half of my dress and saw something black crawling on me. Screaming, I jumped up frantically shaking to try and get the insect out of my bosoms.

There was a soft sound of laughter behind me as I shook the bug out of my dress and watched it drop onto the ground and burrow under the hay. Along with relief, I felt a little annoyed. “Mother this is not funny!” I scowled, feeling my face flush with embarrassment. I must have looked like a fool just a moment ago.

“I’m…sorry…” she choked between laughs. She stood up and rested her head lightly on top of mine. “I thought you were just a dream Mercy. I’m happy I woke up to find you still here, entertaining me so much.”

Any negative things I felt at that moment dissolved into happiness as I wrapped my arms around my mother. “I can say the same thing mother.”

We stayed hugging for a little while, before mother noticed Nathaniel had come earlier and left some food for us both. I got a few pieces of warm bread and cheese and mother had some oats and fresh hay to eat. Also, a bucket of hot water, a towel and a dress that look a good two sizes too tight for me so I presumed it was Beatrice’s. Once we finished the bread and cheese, we ate the sweater things he brought, mother had the apples and I the grapes. All the while we talked about my life so far some more; mother was dying to hear more of my fiancée and also of how we met. She was not sceptical or angry or sad that he was the duke’s son, she looked happy that I was happy. Plus, mother told me she had felt no remorse or animosity towards the duke for her death. She understood his actions and accepted them as there was not much she could do about it. My mother was inspirational.