/Chapter Thirteen/ Mother/

Okay people, this is very rough and edgy so im sorry. I just wanted to get it up asap! I hope you can excuse the mistakes and enjoy! :D

_

Chapter Thirteen: Mother.

Nathaniel and I ran for what felt like hours on end, passing people so fast we couldn’t see their faces. It was like they were all a blur, everything was just a blur of colours through my eyes and that wasn’t just because of my tears. My heart ached in my chest and there was nothing I could do about it. What I wanted was to be in Alexander’s arms and let him hold me, like the other day before we visited the palace; to maybe listen to his heartbeat whilst I catch my breath again. Was that too much to ask? Then I remembered that Alexander was dead.

I felt so full of dread that I wasn’t even sure why I was trying to get away from my psychopathic father; I should have let him shoot me. It wouldn’t kill me but that sort of pain would be better than how badly my heart hurt. Is this how it feels to lose someone you’re in love with? Are these suicidal thoughts right for me to feel? I know that the only way to kill a witch is by burning them, that’s how mother was killed…should I do that? It sounds mad but that’s what I really wanted to do right now. The thought of Alexander, dead, made me want to just give up. Give up moving, give up breathing and give up living all together. This world would not be the same without him. Whilst we were running I thought several times of how I should just stop but I didn’t. The promise I made was the only thing that kept me running. No more heartache, no more hurt Mercy, I told myself over and over again. I will have him back someday.

That chanting to myself kept me going till Nathaniel grabbed my hand and pulled me into a narrow pathway between two houses. He gently leant me against the wall and asked me breathlessly, “Are you okay? Did your father get you?”

I hadn’t a breath left in my body left to answer him. My vision of him blurred and black spots began to appear until all I could see was black. It was like nothing held me to the ground anymore, I felt myself floating away, like my spirit was being drawn from my body unwillingly. I felt like life was being drained from my body and I could no resist the pull. I fainted.

When I woke up, I found I was not in that alley Nathaniel pulled me into. I was in a near empty room, on a bed of straw that wasn’t exactly very comfortable. Cautiously, I sat up and them immediately felt pain on the right temple of my forehead. I felt softly were the pain was and winced slightly and felt a slight bump.

“Ouch, that looks very sore.” Commented a voice. I turned to see Nathaniel sitting at a corner of the room on the floor.

“How did I get here-” I started to ask Nathaniel but he shook his head and got up.

“I carried you here since you passed out from exhaustion. I figured that you might need a place to say with your …you know. And also Alexander being…well…you know.” He laughed nervously and I managed to force a smile on my face for him. He was taking everything extremely well.

I did need a place to live. I needed a job or someway of income if I was to support myself now I’m on my own. I had no one left in this world to help me, I have to get some independence.

“Thank you Nathaniel,” I said.

“Your welcome. This room isn’t much. We’re a very humble family so the sleeping arrangement,” he pointed at the pile of hay I was laying on, “is a little rough but we will sort that out soon.”

“I...there would be no use for that. I’ll be out of your hair soon.”

He gave me a expression that said, ‘explain please?’