/Chapter Four/ The Duke Has A Secret.../

No quick author notes, just enjoy! :D

 (C) All Rights Reserved To D.S Lemonius.

_______________

Chapter Four/The Duke Has A Secret.../

‘To Genevieve and Tony Hanson,

You are cordially invited to celebrate the love of Mercy Viola Thompson and Alexander Arthur Mathews. Also, to witness the new duke and duchess of Edinburgh given their titles.

The Ceremony will take place on July the 8th 1839 at 08:00 at St. Georges Cathedral and at the home of the late duke and duchess. We hope to see you there and enjoy this special time with us.’

I read light pink floral the example invitation over and over again, feeling my stomach churn at its words. ‘Mercy Viola Thompson and Alexander Alfred Mathews’ were the words that made my stomach feel so. This was really happening; my wedding was fast approaching. Two days were left till the day my father would give my hand in marriage to the son of the man who had my mother killed.

“Miss Thompson, do you approve? My lord has and I need your permission to write them all up and send them. Do you like them?” said Mary, the wedding planner.

“No Mary, I do not like them…” I said.

“Oh, then I shall do another to your perfection,” she said glumly and bowed ready to leave.

“…I love them.” Instantly, the young woman smiled. “Did you receive my list of people I’d like to attend?”

Mary thought for a moment, “Yes, though there wasn’t many people on the list, did you miss people out or-”

“No, I have little family and a handful of friends I would like there.” My friends were so excited that I was going to marry a duke and become a duchess, they were jumping with joy. I should have been too I think; a young middle class girl would be delighted marrying into a higher class. The man himself and the plan father concocted just made it worse. Even though father said it wouldn’t be forever, I still didn’t want to go through with it. I don’t want to be married for a second longer than need be.

Getting up from the table I sat at, I dismissed the planner and made my way to find the Alexander. I had a strong urge to go back to my village before I am a duchess; it felt right to be there one last time as Mercy and not the duchess of Edinburgh. I had to ask his permission to leave and visit my village. He was in his study engrossed in a thick novel. I stood at the door and asked, “My Lord, may I come in?”

His head rose slowly from deep inside his book and he smiled lightly at me. “Of Course my sweet,” I quickly walked in and took a seat beside Alexander. “I never got the chance to apologise for a horrid morning on that creature earlier, so please forgive me.”

“My lord, it was neither the horse nor your fault and I’m sure the young lad did not intend for me to be put in such danger,” I said gently.

“Yes, but still. I’ll take you to even better places with tamed horses,” I nodded in agreement.

“I have two things to ask you if you don’t mind my lord,”

“Go ahead,”

“How did you know I liked horses? I mean, I had never ridden one before but how did you know to bring me there? How did you know I wouldn’t hate them?” I had never told anyone about my fascination; it felt strange as a woman should be focused on being a good wife.

Alexander grinned at me and placed his book to one side. “Mercy, I’ll answer you but that was far more than two questions. Do you not remember that our father’s were great friends when we were young and whilst they talked, we would play?”