Chapter 33 - Museum Tourist

ERIC

I finish painting my little dolls and leave them on the shelf to dry before I spray them with varnish. I look at the pile of wood chunks and grab a new one to carve. I need to stay away from Jesse and don't dare to look at Ellen and Sierra's faces. Breakfast was very awkward this morning. At least for me.

I didn't plan for it to happen. I barely drink, but I was frustrated yesterday and had a few glasses of wine with the meal. Ellen did too. We came home, and I didn't even see Sierra's car parked outside. Once in my room, I started making out with Ellen. It was raw passion and soon enough, our shoes and clothes were scattered around the place. My leg hurt a bit, but I didn't care at that moment. I only wanted to make love to my girl.

We must have fallen asleep after the sweet release. It was the first time that Ellen and I share a bed, and it felt natural and comforting. I can't wait for it to happen again, but next time without a medicated brother trying to get in bed with us.

"What is so funny?"

I look towards the workshop entrance and see Ellen standing there.

"What?" I ask.

"You are chuckling. What are you thinking about?" Ellen says, sitting next to me.

"Jesse," I say with a shrug.

"He scared the shit out of me last night. It was a good thing that you turned the lights on so quickly. I would have kicked the life out of him."

"It was embarrassing," I say.

"Nah... only a little. Just the part in which your brother saw me naked."

"I didn't want him or Sue to find out that we... you know."

"I'm sure that your siblings know you had sex in the past."

"But I'm the oldest. I should set an example. At least I don't have to worry about Sue. She is still a virgin," I say and Ellen snorts.

"Yeah, and she and Harry went to a beach cottage to play board games, right?"

"No... not my little sister," I say, clutching my chest.

"Don't be foolish, Eric. We are all adults. If it wasn't because Jesse is sick. He and Sierra would have gone at it last night as well."

"I don't want to hear that," I say, covering my ears while Ellen laughs.

"Hey," she says, holding my hands in hers. "I closed the register and the door already. Why don't we drive to the city and have a nice afternoon? We can go to a museum or a park. I can rent a wheelchair for you," Ellen says with a wink.

I adore this woman and she knows that I do, but not how much.

We drive to the city and decide for a modern museum that has an exhibition on toys. I feel excited about the idea. It could be the inspiration for new products.

"Are you sure that you can walk?" Ellen asks me.

"I promise I will wear the brace tomorrow. Just give me an afternoon of freedom. If we walk at a reasonable pace, I can manage."

We walk through the exhibitions, and there is a tin toy car collection that has me fascinated.

"I need to go to the bathroom. I'll be right back," Ellen says.

I keep looking at the little cars. The paint job is perfect. There is one made to look like a yellow cab, and it even has a driver and passengers. I should start looking into all the waste material that is over from projects and see what we can reuse to make cool stuff like these.

"Eric?"

I turn around to see my ex-girlfriend, Annabel. She is wearing black clothes with a tag. Does she work here at the museum?

"Annabel..."

"What are you doing here in the city?" She says.

"I came to see the toys," I say and sound terribly lame.

"Oh yeah. I forgot you like those things. How have you been?"

"I'm well. How are things going with your boyfriend? Or is it husband now?"

"None of those. That asshole left me when a new shiny thing started working at his office and then got me fired. This job is all I could get on short notice. I went from being on top of the corporate ladder to work in this stuffy place filled with crap," she says while pointing at the cars.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I say, but I'm not.

"Eric, I want to apologize for how I treated you," Annabel says, putting a hand on my chest. "You were the perfect boyfriend, and I messed up. Remember how good we were together?"

I can't believe that this is happening.

"I thought many times about going to Clover and you. I didn't dare. But now you come to me. This is destiny. Don't you think? I believe we are meant to be together."

"Nah... he came for the toys, nothing else."

I look next to me to see Ellen, who is grinning.

"Hi, I'm Ellen. You must be the woman that broke his heart," she says, offering a hand to Annabel, who looks shocked but shakes it.

"Who are you?" Annabel says, while looking at Ellen with disgust.

I look at Ellen. The dreadlocks pulled back by a red band, the nose ring, several plastic bead necklaces over her flowy dress. She looks adorable and so weird.

"She is my future wife," I say, lacing our fingers. "My pride and also a real estate developer."

"That can't be right," Annabel says.

"Here is my card. Call us if you are interested in sustainable properties," Ellen says while handing her a business card.

"I wish you a happy life, Annabel. Goodbye," I say.

Ellen and I walk outside. I'm enjoying this little sweet revenge.

"That was awesome! Can we do it again?" Ellen says while laughing.

"Don't you feel jealous?" I say, placing my hands on her hips.

"Of what?" Ellen says, kissing the top of my nose and making me smile at her cheekiness.

"Marry me," I say.

"Sure," she replies.

"I mean it. You will make me the happiest man if you become my wife."

"Eric-"

"Give me a moment," I say and walk to the souvenir shop.

To my damn luck, there is a section with candy. I make a quick purchase and go back to where Ellen is standing. I get down on the knee of my good leg.

"Ellen, will you marry me?" I say, presenting the giant candy ring to her.

People have gathered around. Ellen looks at them and then at me.

"Of course!"

I open the wrapper and place the ring on her thumb, the only place where it fits, then grab her in a hug as the people around applaud at us.