Chapter 16 - Protest Tourists

ERIC

"Eric, can we talk?" Jesse says, standing by the door of the storage.

I place the last box in the cart and head to the backyard.

"I'm sorry about what happened yesterday," Jesse says.

"It's alright. I know you mean well," I say, patting his arm.

"I have been trying to come up with ideas to make more money, but nothing seems to work."

"Do you think we need more money? We have a roof, food, and we can do nice things from time to time."

"It's that you work from the moment that the sun comes until dawn. I feel like a fucking prince while you are out there breaking your back. Sometimes I wish you had more time to sit on that horrible rusty chair and carve a piece of wood."

I look at my brother fondly. Jesse and I get along but have never had a tight relationship. It warms my heart that he thinks about me.

"Have you ever stopped to think that I love what I do? I enjoy making toys, but that is just my hobby. I like fixing and building things. I also enjoy providing for our little family. Don't worry about me. I'm happy, and I'm not straining myself out there," I say, squeezing his shoulder softly.

"What can I do to help? I need to feel useful."

"It would be helpful for me if you can learn how to manage the books. Sometimes I'm deep into the night making invoices and keeping track of the business."

"Please show me."

"I will. Hey, on other topics. Did I see you coming out of Sierra's room this morning?" I say, trying to hide a smile.

"Oh shit! You saw that. I swear that Sierra and I did nothing. We were talking after dinner and fell asleep."

"It isn't my business."

"I like Sienna, Eric. I like her a lot. The thought that she is leaving next weekend is driving me crazy."

"I'm sorry. She is a cool girl. I will also miss her."

"What about you and Ellen?"

"Ellen is not ready for a relationship. I have tried to convince myself that I'm not ready either, but I'm falling hard for her," I say and feel a bit of relief as I share my feelings.

"We are a mess when it comes to women."

I chuckle at the truth in my brother's words. We then head inside to get the last things for our stall and head to the center. As we arrive, we see Sue and Harry working together, building some shelves. How they smile at each other makes me think that something is going on between those two.

"Do you need some help with those boxes?"

I smile at the sound of the voice.

"Good morning, Ellen," I say.

"Clover really knows how to throw a festival," she says, gazing around.

"Yeah, it is a sort of end of harvest thing. The next big one is in February for the town's anniversary."

"I love it! There is a bit of everything. I was just by the farm pens. They have the most adorable piglets."

"How is the construction going?" Jesse says while unpacking the boxes.

"On track. They finished digging the ground to set the foundation of the cabins. I don't want to compete with Cloverfield, but I'm actually thinking about turning the property into a sort of B&B."

"Mrs. Constance won't mind. She actually feels sorry that she can't accommodate more people," Harry says.

"Plus, your place is on the mountain. It will be a novel experience than staying in town," Sue says.

"Thank you all. You give my mind a bit of rest," Ellen says.

"Did the cattle ranch bring its bull? Old Simon told me it has won many prizes in a fair, and they were going to show him here," I say.

"They did. A very vigorous animal. Beautiful!" Ellen says with enthusiasm.

"I will check it later."

"You can go now, Eric. Harry finished the shelves, and now it's a matter of displaying the stuff. Just make sure that you are back by the time we open for business," Sue says.

I give a grateful smile to my sister. Ellen links her arm with mine, and we walk. I see Sierra talking with Edith, the candied nuts seller. I should get me a few bags of those.

"I already took care of it," Ellen says, unlinking her arm from mine and rummaging in her bag.

She hands me a bag of my favorite peanuts, and I feel like kissing her.

"How do you know?" I say, opening the bag and offering some to her.

"You have them in your kitchen and your truck. I saw them and thought of you."

"Thank you," I say and give her a peck on her lips.

I mentally braced myself for a slap or speech, but she only smiled at me. We keep walking towards the cattle display and then see it. Ellen is right. The bull looks magnificent. A muscled beast with a shiny black hide. Medals and ribbons are displayed on the fence.

"Eric, who are they?" Ellen asks.

I didn't even realize the bunch of kids on the other side. Music is being played on speakers drowning their chants.

"A protest. Every year is the same. They don't agree with how farm animals are treated. Only this year they seem younger, or I'm getting older."

"Do they cause trouble?" She says with a hint of worry in her eyes.

"Nah, luckily they just yell stuff and eventually leave. A few of them stand behind their beliefs, and the others are a bunch of hypocrites. You will see them later eating a sausage or a burger."

I see that the town mayor gets on the podium for the opening ceremony.

"That is my cue. I need to head back."

"Eric..." Ellen begins, but then hesitates.

"Speak to me," I say, putting my hands on her arms.

"We... I... I like it when we spend time together," she says, avoiding looking at me.

"I do as well. I wish we could do more than just spending time together," I say and don't know where the courage is coming.

"I'm scared. That is all."

"I'm also scared, but I'm willing to give it a chance."

Ellen nods and kisses my cheek.

"Let's have a proper talk after the festival ends this afternoon. We can have dinner at my place. I guess I will do my shopping around here," she says.

"Like a proper date?" I say, and she nods.

I feel a lot of joy in my heart.

"I will meet you in front of our stall. See you later," I say and dare to steal one more kiss from her lips.