Chapter 20 - Unexpected Tourists

SUE

I open the door softly in case Harry is sleeping. He isn't and receives me with a tired smile.

"Hello," I say.

His gaze moves to my arm and a crease of worry forms on his forehead.

"Is it broken?" Harry asks.

"A minor fracture."

"I'm sorry for hurting you. I saw the bull and wanted to get you out of the way. I tackled you hard," he says.

"Once again, you saved me," I say and kiss his lips.

"I should stop doing that. I always end up in pain," he says, the smiling returning.

"Does it hurt?" I ask.

"Not right now. I'm numb all over. When I got injured, breathing was torture. I survived thanks to your quick action. Who would have known that a tablecloth could have so many uses? Wait, that means that you bandaged me with a fracture."

"I didn't even feel it at that moment. I had to help you. It was a big wound, and there was so much blood," I say. All the memories are fresh and painful.

"Sue, I'm lucky to be alive. I felt how the energy was leaving my body. I woke up in the middle of the night, in a hospital, but alive. I felt so grateful for the chance to stay with you."

"Harry... yesterday you said that you love me."

"I do. I didn't want to die without telling you how I feel about you."

"How can you love me so soon?" I say, taking a seat next to him.

"It might seem soon for you, but I have been in love with you for years. I guess that you never saw me as a possibility."

I feel my cheeks burning.

"Don't be embarrassed about it. How could you even look at me? I couldn't act like a normal person around you," he says with a chuckle while holding my hand. "I don't expect you to feel love for me. I'm happy that you are here by my side, and that is enough for the moment."

The door opens, and Mrs. Constance comes inside. Harry smiles widely at her sight.

"That is quite a scare that you gave us. I heard from one of my guests about what happened at the festival, so I called Simon. He told me you two, Eric and that darling Ellen got hurt, so I took a taxi," she says, kissing my cheek and then kissing Harry's forehead.

"I haven't heard about Ellen, but Eric is doing okay. Harry got hurt while playing the hero," I say.

"Some people are worth saving," she says, caressing my cheek. "I'm making arrangements so you can stay with me while you recover," she says to Harry.

"Constance, that is unnecessary. I can go to my apartment."

"Nonsense. Simon told me he saw your wound. I want to see you getting up and down the stairs on your own. You will stay with me, and that is the end of the discussion," Mrs. Constance says in a firm voice.

"Harry, you should accept. I wish I could take care of you myself, but it won't be possible. I promise I will go to Cloverfield every day and spend time with you," I say, and he nods.

"It took the two of you some time to warm up to each other," Mrs. Constance says with a chuckle. "This one has been drooling over you for years."

"Constance!" Harry protests, making her laugh.

The hospital room door opens once more, and two women come in. I have never seen them before. I look at Harry, whose face is shocked.

"What are you doing here?" He says to them almost in a whisper.

"Did you think you could hide forever?" The older woman says. "You are a fool, Harold. You gave up your life as a Colfield and look where it got you."

His mother! I look at Harry, who seems uncomfortable and anxious. His breathing is fast and shallow.

"This is not the moment to discuss the past," I say.

"This isn't any of your business. Who are you anyway?" Harry's mother says in a harsh tone.

"I'm Sue Garnett, and I'm Harry's girlfriend."

"You could have married to someone of your status, and still you pick a hick. As if having to explain to the press and the magazines why you are not around isn't embarrassing enough."

"Get out, you are stressing the boy," Mrs. Constance says to them.

"Who do you think you are?" Harry's mom says with disbelief.

"My only mother," Harry says.

He turns white and places a shaky hand on his forehead. I press the call button on the wall. Harry looks as if he is going to pass out. A nurse hurries into the room and asks us to wait outside. My heart is racing from the worry and the anger I feel towards Mrs. Colfield.

"You should leave. Harry didn't need you in the last eight years, and he has more than enough people that care about him," I say.

"Don't make him the victim. He left, following that ridiculous painter dream. I don't see his work in a national gallery," she says with a sarcastic hint.

"I just sold twelve of his paintings in eight hours. Harry is talented, and people like his work."

"Is that your actual interest in him? His money? How much his paintings can get you? Prepare for poverty because he is not getting one penny from us."

I look at Mrs. Constance, who has a stern face. I feel so damn offended by her insinuation.

"Get. Out," Mrs. Constance says once more. "I won't tolerate this anymore. He doesn't want the Colfield fortune, and she owns a business and doesn't need money. Get your skinny city ass out of my village!"

Harry's mom opens her mouth to say something but doesn't. Mrs. Constance is gripping her cane hard, and I feel so angry that I'm ready to jump on Mrs. Colfield. She glares at us while pulling her expensive purse higher on her arm and walks away.

The young woman that I assume is Harry's younger sister looks so sad, shy and lost. She hasn't said a word since they arrived.

"Do you love him?" She says to me in a hurry.

"I do."

Who am I kidding? I can't get him out of my head since the night at the club.

"Tell him that his sister Elaine loves him and misses him."

I rummage in my purse and get a business card.

"These are my contact details. I will make sure that he knows you think about him."

"Thanks. Take good care of him," she says to Mrs. Constance.

"I will."

Elaine walks after her mother at a fast pace, and the nurse comes outside.

"He is okay, but he will need to rest. Please keep the visit short."

We return to the room, and Harry has now an oxygen line in his nose. He is breathing calmly.

"They are gone. Your sister loves you and misses you," I say.

"She is the only one that ever cared about me," Harry says.

"Well, I just heard someone saying that she also loves you," Mrs. Constance says, trying not to smile.

Harry looks at me, and I grin.

"Guilty," I say.

Harry holds my hand and brings it to his lips.