Chapter 29 - Sport Tourists

ERIC

"Are you excited?" Ellen says as she parks her new car, a funny hybrid thing that makes no noise.

"I'm looking forward to it. I love basketball, and it has been a while since I have been to a game," I say.

"You told me you played for this school. Were you good?"

"I was decent. I got offered a college scholarship."

"Did you? Which college did you go to?"

"None. I declined the scholarship. I wanted to be a carpenter."

"Were your parents upset?"

"Mom was, but Dad understood because he did the same."

We walk towards the school's gym. The atmosphere is full of energy and is loud.

"Eric Garnett!" I hear a raspy voice say as we are about to find a seat. I turn around to see my old coach.

"Hello, Coach Smith. How have you been? Are you still teaching here?" I say, shaking hands with him.

"After 30 years here, this is more home than my house. I don't think my missus mind," he says with a chuckle.

"Coach, this is my girlfriend, Ellen."

"Pleasure to meet you. This boy here was a star. The best point guard this school has ever seen. Thanks to him we became national champions."

Ellen looks at me with a surprised face.

"You shouldn't go up the bleachers," he says. "I will arrange for some chairs by the court, next to the team. God knows these kids could use some positive vibes."

Coach Smith leaves to arrange our seats and Ellen is staring at me in a funny way.

"So... national champion. There is a lot about Eric Garnett that I don't know," Ellen says, smirking.

"I don't like to brag, plus it happened so long ago," I say, giving her a small kiss.

We take a seat on the two chairs placed next to the team. We can't be closer to the action than this. I stretch my leg. It is going a lot better with me, but it is still a long way before I heal.

"Do you realize that this is our first physical date? Of course, we have seen each other plenty in the last days, but this is the first time that we go out in public," I say.

"About time. I loved our pizza and video call date, but this is fine as well," Ellen says, linking her arm with mine. "Do you miss it? Playing basketball?"

"I play from time to time with Jesse, Juan, and Harry at the park. I'm not as fast as I used to be."

The game starts and the rival team enters the court to loud music and the booing of the local students. The team from my high school comes out, and the screams are deafening. I remember how energized I felt in those moments. I then realize that the kids are staring at something in our area. I turn around; maybe there is a scout in the crowd. Always a thin and long man with a clipboard in his hands. When those were around, it made the games more exciting.

"The kids are looking at you," Ellen states.

"At me? That can't be right."

I look at them, and there is a mix of emotions in their faces. Some with curiosity, other with disgust. I feel awkward. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to come here for a date. The starting team takes their position at the court and the game begins.

The pace is slow. The players are not bad, but they seem disorganized and don't communicate with each other. I yell instructions and feeling annoyed.

"Eric, calm down. You are not the one playing," Ellen says, trying not to laugh at my frustration.

The first quarter ends and my heart is racing. Ellen is right; I need to calm down.

"Garnett!" Coach Smith shouts. "In the lockers! Now!"

I look at Ellen, who looks as surprised as I am. I grab my crutches and follow the coach. The kids are sitting on the benches and look annoyed. I remember how Coach Smith used to yell at us when we were not doing things right.

"You all don't want to listen to me," Coach Smith says. "Your heads are up your asses today. We have lost all the games of the season. Garnett, tell them what you saw."

The kids look at me, and I don't know what to say. The words just don't come out.

"Who is he?" One kid says.

"This is Eric Garnett. The best point guard of his time," Coach Smith says.

"He is a carpenter. He has been to my house," another boy says.

The team gets a bit agitated at the revelation.

"Why should we listen to him then?" The first kid says.

I feel a bit annoyed... more than annoyed. They have pissed me.

"Because I brought my team to national championships. I'm a carpenter by choice. I own my business and make a decent living out of it. I got offered a full scholarship because I was that good. You are all a bunch of little asses that think that you know it all. Well, wake up and smell the fucking roses, because you suck out there. Your damn diva behavior will bring you nowhere. So it is time that you come down from the clouds and start playing as a team."

I'm shocked by my harsh words. I rarely get this angry. I look at Coach Smith, who is grinning. The kids are avoiding my gaze.

"Now, I will head out there and back to the hot woman that is my girlfriend. Don't make me feel ashamed," I say and walk back to Ellen.

"What happened? Why did the coach want you at the lockers?" Ellen says as I sit down.

"The kids needed a pep talk. Only I was rude as hell," I say, laughing.

"Well, they are playing like little shits. Whatever you told them is probably not as bad as what I have been thinking."

I cup Ellen's face and kiss her. The pause is over, and the players return. The rest of the team takes their places next to us, and I glare at them. They barely dare to look our way.

The game improves. They are talking to each other and moving strategically. By the time the game finishes, they are ahead by seven points.

"Thanks, Garnett," Coach Smith says, patting my back. "Ever considered becoming an assistant coach. The pay is decent."

I look at Ellen, who is smiling at me.

"I will have to pass the offer. I'm a carpenter and fucking good at it."