Chapter 17 - Festival Tourist

SUE

"Something is going on. You are too chirpy," I say to Eric.

"I can be described with many adjectives. Chirpy is not one of them," he says while packing the last of Jesse's pieces.

"Then what is it? It is Ellen, right?"

"Nothing has happened. I gave her a small kiss, and we are having dinner tonight," he says with a dimply smile.

"Oh, I'm so happy for you," I say, giving him a hug.

"It could be the start of a relationship. Wish me luck."

"You don't need it," I say, cupping his cheek.

I see Harry walking towards us. He gives me a small smile.

"Now, you two are the ones with a lot to explain," Eric says as Harry joins us.

"She kissed me first," Harry says, raising his hands in surrender and laughing.

"I'm glad that Sue has finally seen the light," Eric says, earning a hit on the arm from me. "I'm bringing the boxes back to the house. If Ellen comes here, tell her I'll be back soon. To think that we have to do this all over again tomorrow," he says with a sigh as he leaves.

"How was it at Old Simon?" I say to Harry.

"Can I kiss you first?" He says, putting a hand on my waist.

He gives me a tender kiss, and I'm left wanting more when he stops.

"Much better. It was eventful. Do you know the girl called Karina?" He says.

"I know she is trouble," I say, thinking about the things that she has done to Jesse.

"Victor found out that she has been cheating on him," he says, making me gasp.

"Do you know with whom?"

"The grocery delivery guy. Victor found them in the storage, and she was signing for much more than the order. I don't know how you didn't hear the fight. It happened about an hour ago. She put on quite a good show."

"The music on that stage has been blasting the whole day. I had to yell when talking to people."

"I just saw Jesse and his friend as I was walking here. Are they dating?" Harry says, handing me some toys to pack.

"Not really. She lives in the city and is leaving soon. I'm afraid that my brother is going to end up heartbroken. I will also miss her. She has been staying with us, and I enjoy having another girl around."

"There you are! Have you put all of them away?"

I turn around to see a round, middle-aged woman. Her chubby arms are full of bags. She is wearing a dress with a bright fruit pattern.

"Can I help you, ma'am?" I say.

"I have seen people around with paintings of fruit! I need to get me some!"

"Well, you are in luck. I still have two of them. They are the last ones," I say, showing her the artwork.

"Sold!" the woman says and hands me the money.

"Have you met the artist? He is Harry. His collection will be soon on sale at Garnett House."

The woman looks stunned for a moment while staring at Harry. For a moment, I think she is going to scream like a girl at a boy band concert.

"You! You are Harold Colfield! Harold Colfield made my paintings!"

The surrounding people are paying attention.

"So you have been hiding in this village after all this time? Wait till the magazines and the newspapers find about it. You will be all over the social pages."

Harry is turning paler with every second that passes.

"Oh ma'am, you are so right. He looks so much like Harold Colfield," I say, waving my hand as if it doesn't matter. "But this is my brother, Harry Garnett. How many times have people told you you look like the Coldfield guy?"

"Too many to count," Harry says, catching up quickly on my story. "I should start charging him for covering his ass."

The woman looks at Harry with suspicion but seems to buy the story.

"Enjoy the paintings! We will be here tomorrow again," I say, dismissing her in a friendly way.

The woman leaves and Harry and I relax.

"Damn, that was close. It has been a long time since anybody recognizes me. Were those two the last of my paintings?"

"Yeah, I have your money here," I say, opening my purse and handing him his profit.

"Jeez! Thanks, Sue!" he says, holding my chin and kissing me.

"Hey, pervert! You are my brother, remember?" I say, laughing while he grins.

Eric comes back with the empty cart.

"Where is Jesse? If he helps me, we can finish quicker," he says, looking a bit pissed.

"There are only two boxes left. There is Ellen," I say and my brother's face softens.

Ellen and Eric talk for a bit, and it is a sweet sight. They have obvious feelings for each other.

The loud rumble quickly reaches us, followed by shouts and screams. I fall on the ground, and my head hits the concrete. My arm stings. I try to sit, but something heavy is not allowing me.

People are yelling, and I can barely make out what they say. The weight lifts off me, and I sit. I look next to me and see Harry on the floor. There is a big blood stain on his side at waist level. His eyes are open, and he is whimpering.

There are tons of people surrounding us. Seeing Harry hurt has cleared my head, and I stand up. I grab a tablecloth and a pair of scissors and start ripping pieces of fabric.

"I need help! Somebody, please support him," I say to the crowd.

Jesse parts the crowd and comes to my help. I swallow hard when I see the deep gash on Harry's skin. I place a big piece of rolled fabric and then tie it up with the pieces I cut.

"Your tablecloth. It is ruined," Harry says between shallow breaths.

"You are more important than a piece of fabric."

"Sue, you are also bleeding. There is blood on your hair," Jesse says.

I feel my head and there is a very sore spot on it. I also look at my arm. I have a big scrape from my wrist to my elbow.

"What the hell just happened?" I say.

"The bull escaped the pen. It happened too quickly," Jesse says, looking around.

"Jesse! Your brother got gored!" Sienna says, pushing the people to get to us.

"Fuck!" Jesse says. He then picks another tablecloth and the scissors and runs away with Sierra.

My heart is beating horribly hard. I try to see through the gaps in the crowd. Eric is on the floor and I see his legs moving. At least he is alive. I hear sirens and hope that Harry makes it.

"Harry, hold on for a bit longer," I say, but can't contain my tears as I hold his hand in mine.

"I love you," Harry says. His grip on my hand loosens and closes his eyes.