Chapter 37 - Mini Tourist

SUE

I look at the little crib made by my brothers and smile. Rain has a knitted bootie in her mouth. One of a pair of camel colored ones I made even before her daddy and I got together. I saved them instead of displaying them for sale and who would have known that they would get an owner so soon?

"Those are to wear, not for eating," I say, replacing the shoe with one of her toys. She coos and put the new toy in her mouth.

"These turned out nicely. I have become an expert in these since I had to make so many for the weddings," Jesse says while placing stacks of pastel colored candy dishes on the displays.

He hands me a note with the amounts and the price, and I add it to the shop inventory software.

"They are lovely and affordable. I'm sure that the dishes will fly off the shelves. Have you thought about your wedding?" I say casually.

"Sierra has made a sheet on the computer with some general planning. We haven't got down to the details yet. I would like to have something fun and laid back like you had."

I loved our wedding. I was pregnant already, so we had a simple celebration at the beach. Harry loves that place, so it was only natural to choose it as the place to have our reception. We had some nice background music, and a caterer supplied us with delicious food. For the rest, we put some lounge sets where people could sit and talk, or just look at the beautiful ocean.

"Let me know if you guys need help," I say.

"I think we will abuse of the offering. Sierra doesn't have siblings, and you have become her best friend. We were wondering if you wanted to be our matron of honor."

"Really? I'd love to!" I say and give my brother a hug.

Rain laughs hard in her crib. Jesse and I turn to look at her and smile. Her big blue eyes are glued to Jesse. She is crazy about him and gets excited whenever he is in the room.

"I'm going to the market. Can I bring Rain?" He says as he plays with her.

"Sure. Let me get you the carrier."

I strap the carrier to Jesse's chest and place my baby girl in it. She loves it as she is high enough to watch everything and it frees Jesse's hands to do his shopping.

"Behave and don't throw up on your uncle," I say, tickling her.

"I'll be back soon," he says, and I hear him saying sweet nothings to my daughter. I'm sure that when time comes, my brother is going to be a wonderful dad.

I go back to my sewing and interrupt it from time to time to help the tourists that come to our shop. I love Saturdays. They are busy, and when we close the shop early, I get to see my whole family for dinner.

I smile at the sight of the man walking through the door. I thank the customers for their purchase, and I'm left alone with my husband.

"Hi," he says, then gives me a sweet kiss on my lips.

"How was your morning?"

"Busy. I swear Daisy ordered half of the distribution center. I have been unpacking books and repacking them for shipping. Adding the web shop to her bookstore site was a smart move, but it's getting out of hand."

Daisy expanded her bookstore and needed an extra hand. People visiting the village always make a stop to buy a book for the vacation by the sea and the tiny shop wasn't big enough to accommodate the demand. Harry quit his job with the post office and started working for her. He loves it and, according to Daisy, is good with the customers.

"But now I'm free and can give you a hand here," he says as more people enter the store and browse.

"I sold your last painting this morning," I say and point him to the empty spot where it was. "People are fond of your fruits."

"So it seems," he grins. "I guess I will have to start on new ones during the week."

I finish fixing the hem of a pair of trousers while Harry answers questions about Jesse's pottery work. My guy has become a Garnett. He is creative and even crazy when we are in the intimacy of our home. Every day, I love him more than the day before. I feel guilty that I misjudged him like everybody else in the village instead of getting to know him better.

The press found out about our wedding the day after it happened. I'm sure that Harry's sister has to do with this. The Colfields were rabid that he took my last name and sent him a letter, in which it states that he has been written out of their will. We are not rich, just a standard medium class family, and we couldn't be happier.

Eric enters the store and heads to Rain's crib.

"Where is she?" He asks.

"Shopping with Jesse," I say, and he looks disappointed. "But you can say hello to me."

My brother gives me a sheepish grin. Since the arrival of Rain, I'm ignored.

"Hello," he says, kissing my cheek. "Do you need me here? Or can I go to the workshop?"

"Harry is here. Go and make some toys."

"Ellen will pick Sierra from Cloverfield and will come here. They are bringing food, so you don't have to do anything."

"I love my sisters-in-law," I say truthfully.

I have gained two sisters. That is how it feels. I love them because they are genuine people. I love them even more because they make Jesse and Eric so happy. Mom and Dad are also crazy about them. Sierra and Mom are so much alike that is scary at times.

I can't wait until the next break so we can visit my parents. They loved their stay at Gray Wolf Ranch so much that they bought a house in the valley. They got fed up with their retired life and went back to work. Mom works at the ranch, leading people in the wine and beer tours, and Dad works at the Mingan Brewery at the bar. Life couldn't be better for all of us.

I see Jesse running up the path with his grocery bags.

"What is going on?" I say, feeling worried that something is happening to my daughter. My thoughts can't be right; Rain is laughing.

"They are back!" he says, looking behind him.

"Who?" Harry asks.

"The red tour bus!"

THE END