Chapter Twenty-Four

On Santa's Lap is being published on June 26th I'm sure you have seen me spamming this so much already, on my author page (N.K.Pockett) there is an event up called June 26th, make sure you click interested or going !

"Wh-wh-what?" I can see my eyes widening as I looked at him. Did he know? Of course, he wouldn't know.

And what did he mean if I liked him? That was in the past, he couldn't have possibly known. Unless James told him, then that two-face lying f-

"James. What do  you think of him? Do you like him? I was thinking of making him my business partner," Darius said as he got up and grabbed his tie from earlier.

"Oh." My heart was racing, it was practically pounding and I could feel the blood flowing to my ears. "Um," I said. What was I meant to say?

No, he was a hopeless partner and there was no way you guys should be partners. Would that be a bit too obvious?

"I-I don't know. I mean, it's up to you." Iwas stuttering helplessly. Damn it, Ivory, tell him now. This is the perfect chance. James shouldn't be a business partner because he is a lying, cheating, backstabbing asshole.

Damn it, why can't I just tell Darius? His eyes were staring right at me and all I could do was stand there like an idiot. I had to tell him; this would be the perfect opportunity before I make things worse.

"Actually..." I just couldn't do it. What if Darius didn't know? I can just pretend it never happened. And then no harm is done. Darius wouldn't need to know, and James just needed to keep his mouth shut. 

"You know," said Darius, getting up, "it's your business too, so you have a say. Isn't that why we had to get married?" He walking into the walkin closet. I stared at the floor. Duh, of course that was why we were married.

Not because we loved each other; everything is far from that. We were married because our stupid elders made a deal that no company can take over the other. Instead, together our companies will take over the rest. It was stupid.

I couldn't even imagine how my life would have turned out if I didn't marry Darius. I mean, would I have the chance to find someone again?

I sighed as he walked back out, with the phone on his ear again. He looked up at me and raised his eyebrow. "You going to sleep?"

"Oh right." I realized I had been standing there like a statue. I walked over to my side of the bed and got in. It still felt so weird sharing a bed with him. Sharing a bed with someone was such an intimate gesture and here I was sharing it with someone who was just my 'husband' on paper.

"You're not going to change?"

I shook my head and replied, "Nope." I turned to my side facing the door to the veranda. I heard a deep chuckle before the lights went off. 

"Should have known," he said.

I felt the bed dip as he got in and I could see the light from his phone. Knowing Darius, he was probably going to be on that till morning.

6 Months ago

"Oh my god, it's perfect," she said, clapping her hands. I raised an eyebrow at my mother. Seriously? She thought this dress was perfect?

I could barely be seen in the mirror. All you could see was material and more material flowing out and out.

"Mother, can we pick something small? Something elegant but not extravagant?" I asked.