Chapter 1: Khyree

Kyhree POV

"Khyree you've been a great asset to the company, but I'm afraid it's just not enough. Your last check'll be in the mail by Friday."

My boss, Jared Miller, had his hands clasped on the desk staring at me with his fake ass sympathy. I didn't need that nor did I need his damn pity. I squeezed my hands together and grit my teeth.

"What the fuck you mean? I ain't been nothing but responsible and a good employee at this whack ass joint you call a restaurant." Fuck it, I was getting fired anyway.

"Yes I understand that, but im afraid the customers don't."

I could feel myself about to fly off the fuckin' handle. I had been working at Charlie's Chickens for about two months now and it was my only means of pay. I could just hear Rhonda getting in my ass now.

I stood up so fast my chair went flying backwards. "It's cause I'm black ain't it!? I swear y'all always tryna keep a brotha down! I didn't need this job anyway, so you gonna have to try harder!"

Mr. Miller was now out of his chair and backed up against the back wall, looking visibly shaken. "Mr. Williams I understand-"

I sucked my teeth and took my name tag off, throwing it at him. I walked out of the office and the restaurant all together, ignoring the whispers and stares I got from onlookers. When I got outside it was still hot as hell and my Pacer was parked across the street.

I got in the car and started making my way home. Ain't shit been working out lately. It's not like I wasn't trying, God just wasn't giving a nigga a chance. When I got home I parked the car on the side of the road and opened up the glove compartment to find the emergency stash of weed. My tongue was poised to lick the paper when I heard a tap at the car window. I jumped, dropping it at my feet.

"Awe shit." I rolled down the window.

My momma was giving me the death glare. "Boy put that shit away and come help me with these groceries."

I carried the bags inside while she opened the door. She gave me a once over while I put the stuff away. "Kyhree, what happened?"

"Nothing momma, it's all good."

"Are you lying to me?"

"Naw."

She gave me another look.

"I mean no."

"You're home a little early."

"Somebody else took over my shift."

"Mhm."

My phone vibrated and I snatched it off the counter. It was a text from Rhonda:

Come get ur kid.

For once in my life I was grateful her annoying ass hit my line.

"I gotta go get Sasha ma."

She nodded. "It's about damn time I see my grand baby."

I kissed her on the cheek and closed the door behind me. I decided to walk instead of taking the car, her apartment complex was only ten minutes away from mine. If I didn't find a job soon enough, my momma was gonna catch on and Rhonda was gonna take me to court cause I can't pay the damn child support money. Man do I regret the day I stuck my dick in that one.

A car rolled by blasting "Controlla" and several people walked past me on the side walks. I came across two thickies across the street standing in front of a building. I decided I could make time for them and still be on time to Rhonda's. They turned around when the saw me and I smiled.

"I couldn't help but notice you two from all the way across the street. Can I help you ladies?"

The shortest one with long black hair and smooth chocolate skin smiled. "Not unless you work here."

I looked at her in confusion and glanced up at the building we were standing in front of that read 'Chocolate City'.

I chuckled, still confused. "Uh yeah, most def. I might've even seen y'all around a couple times."

They looked at each other and this time the taller one with caramel skin and hazel eyes spoke. "We never been here before."

I smiled again, "My bad, I should've realized. it's not every day I come across beauty like this. Swing by tonight and I might get y'all a discount if I see you."

They both looked me up and down before rolling their eyes and walking away. I sucked my teeth and went to see what they were looking at before. It was a flyer on the front of the building that read:

NOW HIRING: MALE EXOTIC DANCERS

There was a number on the bottom.

I licked my lips and tore the flyer off of the wall, studying it carefully. It was just something to keep in the back of my mind right?

I thought about all of the money I owed and the debt I was in. Shit, a nigga was still living with his momma. At this point I was desperate. I looked around before stuffing it in my back pocket and walking away.

I continued making my way to Rhonda's, thoughts of making money still heavy on my mind.

What's up to anyone reading this!? This is my second story so please leave a vote, comment, or feedback if you like it so far!