The Chamber of Secrets

|ALEXANDRIA WEASLEY'S P.O.V|

"All those times we were in that bathroom, and she was just three toilets away," said Ron bitterly during Transfiguration the following day, "and we could've asked her, and now . . ."

I had hoped to ask Myrtle herself what had happened fifty years ago, assured that the dramatic ghost would enjoy telling a story. However, with a teacher accompanying us wherever we went, it was difficult to get into the bathroom because it was right next to the scene of the first attack.

"Excuse me, Mr. Weasley," said Professor McGonagall suddenly from the front of the room. She was looking suspiciously at Harry, Ron, and I from over the top of her spectacles. I immediately sat straighter in my seat, ready to at least pretend to focus my attention on the lesson at hand. "As I was saying, exams will begin on the first of June. That is only a week away, students, so I trust that you're preparing accordingly."

"Exams?" howled Seamus Finnigan from the table ahead of ours. "We're still getting exams?

A loud bang came from behind me. I jumped in my chair, placing one of my hands firmly against my chest in surprise as I turned around to see what had happened. Neville had dropped his wand, accidentally vanishing one of the legs on his table. Professor McGonagall restored it quickly, and then turned to Finnigan with a frown.

"The whole point of keeping the school open at this time is for you to receive your education," she said sternly. "The exams will therefore take place as usual, and I trust you are all studying hard."

I nodded silently to myself. However, upon looking around the classroom, I noticed that all of my peers were muttering to one another angrily. I quickly changed the nod to a shake, pretending as though Hermione and I hadn't spent the last few months before her attack quizzing in our dormitory.

"Professor Dumbledore's instructions were to keep the school running as normally as possible," said McGonagall in response to the complaints, her scowl deepening with every passing second. She straightened out her emerald green robes, and then gave our class a pointed glare. "And that, I need hardly point out, means finding out how much you have learned this year."

As chatter began to fill the room in response, a low whistling sounded from beside me. Upon glancing at Ron, I noticed that he was grimacing at his wand — which was making the noise. He looked at Harry and I, and said, "Can you imagine me taking exams with this?"

—————

Three days before our first exam, I was sat in the Great Hall across from Harry and Ron for breakfast. There was a book placed in front of me, rather than a plate, and I was reading out loud for the boys to hear:

"Now, the Confundus charm does what exactly?"

Harry let out a dramatic sigh, nearly dipping his nose into his porridge as he dropped his head down. I rolled my eyes at the sight while the tips of my fingers began to tap impatiently against the table. Harry simply stared at me before saying, "Blimey, Ria, I have no —"

"I have good news!"

Upon looking toward the teachers' table, I saw that Professor McGonagall was stood up with her arms outstretched. The Great Hall erupted into applause at the sight of her. Students began to shout possibilitiess:

"Dumbledore's coming back!"

"You've caught the Heir of Slytherin!"

"Quidditch matches are back on!"

Professor McGonagall clapped her hands for quiet and then said, "Professor Sprout has informed me that the Mandrakes are ready for cutting at last. Tonight, we will be able to revive those people who have been Petrified. I need hardly remind you all that one of them may well be able to tell us who, or what, attacked them. I am hopeful that this dreadful year will end with our catching the culprit."