The Midnight Duel

|ALEXANDRIA WEASLEY'S P.O.V|

"I absolutely cannot get on a forsaken broomstick and ride about a field," Hermione Granger exclaimed desperately, slamming the copy of Quidditch Through the Ages that she had borrowed from the castle's library earlier that week onto the Gryffindor table.

"You will be fine," I assured, sliding the book further from the disastrous bowl of milk that was awaiting to spill just beside it. "Quidditch is wonderful, Ron and I play at home with our brothers sometimes —"

"What was Gertie Keddle thinking?" She ignored my words, as if I hadn't spoken at all.

"Gertie Keddle actually didn't —" I went to correct her, but ultimately gave on the attempt as she continued talking without a slight motion of stopping.

It was Thursday, the day that had been declared for the start of flying lessons. The notice had been pinned up in the Gryffindor common room, one that made many students (Hermione blatantly included) complain.

The mail owls swooped into the hall, silencing the girl's blabber for how loud they were. The sight of them made me cringe, on remembrance of how I had failed to send a letter to my younger sister.

"Have you wrote Ginny?" I questioned Ron, who was sat across the table and dissolved in a conversation with Harry Potter.

"No," He shook his head, the lone word making me groan.

My gaze drifted, following the unfamiliar barn owl that was soaring towards us. It landed further down the bench in front of Neville Longbottom, the boy that had been quickly cleared of boils, where it dropped a small package.

"What's that, Neville?" I questioned, removing his eyes from the brown-wrapped item to myself.

"Uh —" He flipped it over quickly, before completely releasing it of its wrappings. "It's from my Gran — a Remembrall! She knows I forget things, this tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do."

He would glance from me to the round, glass ball clutched in his fist, clearly assuring that I was still listening to his explanation. I nodded gently, to which he smiled and held it out for me to see.

"Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red — oh .  .  ." His face fell, the clear center suddenly glowing a scarlet. ".  .  .  . you've forgotten something .  .  .  ."

His face scrunched in confusion as he glanced around him, checking for the source of whatever it was that peeked the Remembrall. Just as he had placed the gift on the table to search for his wand, a pale hand snatched it.

Draco Malfoy stood by the bench, Crabbe and Goyle behind him as his cloudy stare studied the Remembrall. I rose to my feet immediately, my eyes locked on his movements for whatever he would try.

"What's going on?"

I glanced behind me to find the source of the question, only to connect gazes with Professor McGonagall.

"Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor."

With a scowl, the Slytherin was swift to drop said item back onto the table from where he had taken it.

"Just looking," His eyes met mine for a second, as I was still stood in preparation, but then he gestured for the goons behind him to follow and they left for across the hall to their own table.