Chapter One

Hermione Granger shivered slightly as the door to the store opened and a man walked in. She felt a sort of unease swift over her even though there was nothing to feel uneasy about. It was as though someone was watching her. A quick scan around the store told her that no one was, in fact, watching her. Paranoia was affecting her mind after the war, she supposed.

Hermione was entirely unaware of the grey eyes staring at her from behind the shelves as her entire focus was shifted to the red haired boy in front of her. She sighed and shook her head, getting ready to scold Ron. It had been a very long time since they had been in this store and there was no reason to be here! They were just killing time and it was starting to bore her.

‘Ron, you're not seriously thinking about getting that, are you?’ Hermione asked, with a hint of masked amusement in her tone. She was annoyed that Ron dragged her around Diagon Alley to look at random stuff in countless stores. Although she knew he just wanted to spend some alone time with her since the Burrow was too full all the time. 

Ron was holding a Nose Biting Teacup and inspecting it. He looked at Hermione when he heard her familiar bossy tone, who stood with her lips formed into a line to stop her from laughing. She thought it was really amusing how he held it and was examining it with clear focus on his face. If he gave even a tiny amount of focus into his exams that he gave into that teacup...

‘Well...?’ Hermione raised her eyebrows and Ron stared at the teacup which was dangerously trying to snap at him, and then back to Hermione, ‘Ron, put it down and lets go.’

There were only two other people – that they could see – in the store with them. A tall, slim man studying an interesting object, which he was totally immersed in, and a woman paying for her shopping, clearly eager to get out of the shop as she grabbed her bags and left without looking back. Hermione didn’t notice the blonde haired boy who was still hiding behind shelves and staring at her with intensity and jealousy burning in his eyes.

‘Hermione... learn to live.’ Ron joked but put down the teacup since he knew Hermione would throw a fit at him if he spent too long here.

Ron came over to her, placing an arm across Hermione’s waist, kissing her on the top of her head. Hermione smiled; a sweet gesture like that always made her smile. The boy spying on them raged with an uncontained jealousy. He couldn’t trust himself to not cause a scene, so he discreetly walked out of the shop, hoping they wouldn’t notice him.

He walked down the road, not caring about the products in the shops even the spectacular broom that was on a rare sale. He felt jealousy take over him as he took a left into the alley way. The jealousy burned him and blinded him, his grey eyes clouding over a little. He panted heavily and growled under his breath as he thought of that arm around Hermione and that kiss...

He aimed a punch at the brick wall, needing to get rid of some of his anger, not caring about how much it hurt even though the pain coursed through his knuckles and into his arms. He hated seeing her with that oaf of a boy, Ron Weasley. He was jealous but he didn’t care, he was past the point of caring. His feelings were too strong now.

He punched the wall several times, wincing as it collided with the bricks. He didn’t stop until a voice spoke up, catching his attention.

‘Draco...’ The voice spoke softly, filled with pity. He recognised it immediately but didn’t look up. Draco’s eyes followed the splattering of his blood from his bruised hand onto the ground below. He hadn’t even noticed that he had hit his hand so hard. The voice spoke again and he let out a shaky breath that he had been holding.

Draco looked up and saw his mother standing over him, only a little bit taller than he was now. Her hair was down and set on her shoulders and her eyes were filled with motherly love that Draco had grown accustomed to seeing at times where he needed her the most.

‘Mother... I...’ Draco looked down to his clenched fists and saw them bleeding. He hated the sticky and hot blood.

Without a word, Narcissa Malfoy took out her wand and healed her son's hands, gently turning them around so that she could heal all of his bruises. Draco wondered how long Narcissa had been with him. Had she seen him spying on Hermione? Pounding his fists in the wall? Panting heavily?

‘Mother...’

‘Do you love her?’ Narcissa asked, lifting her eyes to look at him.

Draco looked at his mother, his eyes burned with curiosity to find out if she would approve of this or not. Hermione was, in fact, a muggle born. A mudblood. He felt his heart thud as Narcissa encouraged him to tell the truth, raising her eyebrows slightly. After a minute Draco spoke out clearly. What use was there of hiding the very obvious fact?