Chapter 4, In the hospital

I looked at a man leaving A&E and saw it was a surgeon who had been operating on Flynn, he was wearing sterile gloves covered in blood. I shivered when I realized it was Flynn's blood. The operator told something to the nurse before returning to the operating theatre. i was staring at the wall for ages, in pain from the suspense. the doors opened to reveal the man who had been operating on that poor fellow. The doctor left the operating theatre. I looked hopefully at him. He looked at me and shook his head, his visage was blurred by my awful vision. I thought he was lying. I stepped up calling him a liar, my brain telling me he was playing some cruel joke on me. I knew he wasn't and it broke my heart. I didn't know what came over me. I don't quite remember what exactly happened. I just remember not being able to move, shaking collapsing on the floor.

I woke up in a hospital bed with me wired up to a heart monitor. My head ached and I felt a sinking feeling in my heart. I soon remembered every little detail. I buried my face in my hands weeping, I was silent. I knew for a fact that crying out loud was for attention, when you are worried you have lost something and your parent(s)/guardian(s) make it worse by shouting at you, pain, when your boyfriend dumps you but silent crying is when you just can't stop because something so bad has happened that you can't help yourself. This was the effect that was affecting my mental health, him.

I remember being like this  shivering wreck for a while before a female doctor came in and comforted me. She told me I was under a lot of mental stress and had very severe depression due to the tests they took when I was unconscious. As she talked to me I was so exasperated because she talked to me as if I was a child or as if I was totally insane. She was talking about trivial things and my brain was showing me scenes of Flynn dead covered in blood as the doctors tried to do everything in their power to save his life in vain. My heart had shattered into a million pieces spread all around the world and I didn't want to live on this planet any more (the Andromeda galaxy would be a good choice) but seriously though. I shivered, then the nurse actually said something that I wanted to hear.

"The boy you were with on the ambulance, a medical miracle has taken place, he somehow managed to obtain a heartbeat after he died two hours earlier. He's still at risk of dying so you can't see him just yet but aren't you glad he is not dead?" She asked. My heart leaped with joy. He was alive! I couldn't believe it. For the first time, in a long while, I smiled. She saw this and scribbled something in her notebook. "He's a fighter." She mumbled and she left drawing the curtains to my hospital area. My broken heart felt less painful then it had been (since my parents were still dead). I felt a warm feeling going through my body. I thought I was never going to see him again.  The pieces of my heart joined in celebration that he was alive.

Reports from the nurse who visited me every three hours said that Flynn was getting better and better. They said I could see him when he was conscious. I couldn't wait. I heard my heart monitor bleep faster and faster as I became excited. Once, it was beating at 170bpm and a sister of the ward came in to check on me. I was like this for a week. They ran tests in me to see if my brain was 'normal'. I didn't care; just waited for the good news to come. That I could see Flynn. Finally, the day dawned.

I was lead into the ward number M8S213 where Flynn was. There were little kids playing in the 'Childrens' area', an old man coughing with the hospital bed rocking violently as he did so. We entered plain, white room. All the curtains were drawn and the nurse pulled back the covers to find the boy I was looking for, sitting on his bed. I could barely recognize him. His eyes were blood red and his skin was albinoic with dark veins all over. His hair had darkened and his lips were purplish blue. I could just about recognize him and my heart was racing as I looked at him. He signaled it was okay to sit with him on his bed. I noticed how hollow his cheekbones were and how skinny his arms had become. He looked like he hasn't eaten in days.  

"Poppy, I thought you were ill or something." He croaked through his cracked, dark lips. I saw a gleam in his eyes, that really frightened me. I decided to answer his question.

"No," I looked to the ground," I heard you were dead!" I returned, he gave me a weak smile. 

"Nope," He I remembered him grinning at me, "I am just so...hungry." His eyes glinted. His devilish grin and shining eyes pierced into my soul.

"Do you want me to get you some food?" I offered, feeling a bit of unease run through me. I had a picture of the wolf from 'Little red riding hood' as the guy sitting in front of me.

"That won't be, necessary." His mouth opened to show a set of sharp devilish fangs that shone in the hospital light,  what in God's name was he? He pulled me into him, his lips reached my chin and he bit into my neck, I screamed with pure horror , pain and desperation for someone to help me! No one came. My neck felt like it was being snapped. My screams soon turned to whimpers of pure agony.   I was whipped out of consciousness with the vision of that thing at me. He said this as he sucked the blood from my neck:

"Don't worry 'Little Fox', just sleep..."

After this, I blacked out from the pain.