Chapter 1, Meeting

I remember when I first met him. We were both sixteen years of age. I had moved schools because my dad had received a job offer he could not refuse. We moved into a house in Sacramento, California, I went jogging I the park on the weekends and ran (literally) into him wasn't concentrating and I knocked him to the ground.  

"Sorry!" I mumbled, I was so embarrassed. 

"Oh well, all make mistakes. I'm Flynn, by the way." He stood up and helped me to my feet. He was a good few inches taller then me.

"Poppy." I replied. 

I haven't seen you around, are you new to this neighbourhood?" He twitched to correct his hair.

"Uh huh." I said. He asked if he could show me around and I agreed.

As he showed me around the area, I was staring at him. He didn't notice, he didn't even notice that I wasn't listening or responding to anything he said. I looked deep into his green eyes even though his 'emo' fringe covered his left eye almost completely. He was really good looking. I was just plain old me. In my past school I was bullied for my appearance. I have bright ginger hair and freckles. I was also very short until 7th grade so I was called a soulless ginger and a midget for the entire time I was at school, by some bratty popular blonde girl and her friends. I had started my new school a week ago an being in 11th grade was probably the best year so far. Everyone was so nice to me (compared to my last school). 

"Umm, Poppy?" Flynn asked, he shook me gently. He said something I couldn't hear. 

"I'm sorry, can you repeat?" I asked. He smirked.

"I said: Do you want to come over mine, If you aren't doing anything." He was blushing. 

"Sure, I'm free." He led me to the rich estate of town. We walked to the prettiest house on the block. I was guessing it was his. A stout woman was in the garden, planting some marigolds.  

"Hey Flynn! Who's the girl?" She said, she had a Southern Belle dialect.  

"This is Poppy, she's new here. I decided to show her around and then invited her round." He replied, his cheeks going slightly red. 

"Okay Darling, there are some Hot Pockets™ in the fridge if you two get hungry. I'll be in the garden if you need me." She laughed. 

"C'mon Poppy, lets go inside." He led me inside. I hoped he was going to take me to his room but no, he led me into his living room. Flynn sat me down next to him on the sofa. The room we were in was very large. There contained photos of him and his family when he was younger, pictures of him at school. There was a large fireplace and a 3D television showing static. The couch we were siting on was cream leather with photographic designs on the cushions.  

"So, Poppy, how's your life going?" He questioned. 

"Good,"I answered," the school I go to is great, everyone is so friendly." 

"So what happened at your old school?" 

"Oh...I didn't fit in at all and was bullied initially about my looks. "

"But you're beautiful, there is nothing wrong with you!" He told me, sweetly.

"I'm a ginger." I sighed, (*Picture of her in multimedia*) I closed my eyes and looked to the floor. My red hair fell over my face. Flynn brushed it back and lifted my chin up. He stared into my eyes and smirked at me.

"So?" He asked. I smiled at him. He was so nice to me. Too bad it wasn't going to last.

After we had talked about trivial things: school, family, Sacramento, and had eaten a few hot pockets with him, I realized the time. Crap, It was late. I told him  had to go. He understood (why wouldn't he?) He said that he would 'see me around. I walked home thinking of him.. As I arrived home, I saw that my mum (or 'mom') was outside the house.

"And where have you been, Poppy?" My mother shouted at me.

"Out." I trivialized, trying to make it a simple as possible. If I told her in great detail, she would freak out and call the PPS (Pervert Prevention Service).

"Where?" She asked, harshly.

"I got lost." I lied.

"Don't lie to me!" She barked.

"I'm not!" I barked back to her. I was an awful liar.

"Well, don't ever scare me like that again, Pops! I was so worried that I almost called the cops." She cried.

"I know, I'm sorry Mum." I apologised. She is gone now. Mum brought me into my house and got me some hot cocoa before sending me to bed. I loved my mum She died saving me. It was Flynn's fault. She was the most caring lady in the word and I loved her. I plugged my iPod into my deck and listened to a few Classical songs before drifting off.to sleep. I woke up. Damn, I had to go to school.

School was normal, I was still an unpopular kid, but I had a group of friends that accepted me for who I was and not my hair colour (color).In English, we were learning about romance, I was thinking of him all through it, until the English teacher saw that I was daydreaming ad made me recite a love poem.

"Love is like an endless ocean,

Full of wonder and emotion."

After English, we ha a break. I was sitting with my friends underneath a large oak tree. The shade was cooling, as it was 34 degrees outside.

When I arrived home, my mum asked me how my day was. I didn't tell her about my crush. She said that she was proud that I was settling nicely into my new school. It was a golden age for me at that time. I wish that they could of stayed that way. When I as getting ready for bed, I heard a knock at my window. It was Flynn.