Chapter#14-Logan

"Ok, this is where we plan on expanding the building. The idea is to have a separate building for each department. As the business have continued to grow, we have gotten a little crowded. So here are some blueprints I thought you guys could look at."
I turn the slide on the presentation.
"Now if you all turn to page three in your booklets-"
The door to the conference room opens and Lisa sticks her head in the door.
"Uh Mr. Bennett-"
"This isn't really a good time right now, Lisa." I motion with my eyes to the eight people at the table with their booklets open to page three.
"I understand that Mr. Bennett, but this is important-"
I wave her off, "I'm sure it can wait."
"No." The door opens and Genesis steps up from behind her. Brown eyes flashing, frown on her face. "Actually, it can't."
I take one look at Genesis and turn to the table of people in front of me. "I guess you all will have to excuse me. We'll pick up where we left off after lunch."
The people all gather their things and slowly exit the room while Genesis stands quietly by the door. When they are gone, she walks up to one of the empty chairs and sits down. Folding her hands, she looks at me.
I shrug. "So what did I do to earn this surprise visit?" Taking a seat from across her, I add,
"And why couldn't it wait until after my meeting?"
Genesis does not answer my question right away. When she finally does speak, her voice is soft and calm.
"Is there something you have to tell me, Logan?"
I look at her, and chuckle nervously. "No, not that I can think of."
She nods. "Really? Nothing at all? Nothing about say-and I'm just speaking hypothetically here-about a debt that may or may not have been paid unbeknownst to a particular someone."
Goddammit.
"Genesis look-"
"No. You did exactly what I asked you not to do, meddle in my business." Genesis interrupts. "I could've paid that debt, myself Logan."
"Bullshit," I say.
"Excuse me?" Genesis leans back in her chair and looks at me with that dangerous look.

"I said bullshit. You couldn't have paid that debt by yourself." I look at her and match her look with my own.

"Are you saying that I am incapable of running a business on my own, Logan?"

"Yes, Gen, Goddammit!" I slam my hand on the table. "No one can run a fucking business on their own. They need help. They get support, take out loans, build a team. That's how you run a fucking business Gen, with a team."

Gen looks at me, then she turns away, but not before I see the tear run down her cheek.

"Babe, Look I'm sorry-" I start to reach towards her hand across the table but Genesis stops me.

"You're right." She says softly.

"I'm sorry, what?" I ask. "I don't think I heard you correctly."

Genesis sniffles and wipes her eyes and gives me a sad grin. "I said you're right. I guess I got so caught up in trying to prove that I could run the business by myself that I forgot that it was ok to ask for help sometime."

I nod. "It's ok. Im sorry, I should've told you about the debt."

Genesis waves her hand, dismissing my apology. "It really is my fault, for making you feel like that you had to tiptoe around me when you were only trying to help. Thank you. I guess I've just been stressed lately, with the business, and the baby, I've been taking it out on you."

I nod. Wait. What did she just say?
"The baby? What baby?" I look at Gen. Her face had changed drastically. The color leaving her cheeks.

"I can't believe I just said that." She runs a hand over her face.

"Just said what? What are you-" Then the pieces fall in place. "Gen, are you pregnant?"

Genesis doesn't say anything. She didn't have to, I saw it in her face.
"Jesus fucking Christ." I say. A wave of emotions that I can't explain hit me. I was going to be a father? When I speak, it comes out strained and weak.
"Gen."

"I was going to tell you Logan." Genesis says, her eyes had filled with water. "But I didn't know how, and I was angry, and..and I'm sorry, Im so sorry." Her voice breaks, and I hear more sniffling.
I want to reach out to her but I can't move.
I'm going to be a father.

"How many?"
Genesis looks up. "Huh?"

I look up to meet her eyes. "How many weeks are you?"
Genesis bites her lip, and cast her eyes downwards. "Ten weeks."

"Gen, you should've told me." I say, I turn away from her and look out the window.

"I know. And I'm sorry." Genesis says. "Dani and I have been doing a little baby shopping. We've been picking out cute little blankets for her-"

"Her?" I look at her again, and this time I can't keep the tears from taking hold of my voice. "We're having a little girl?"

Genesis smiles at me, and shrugs. "I don't know, I haven't been to the doctor since my second week of pregnancy. But my family have a history with having girls. So me and Dani just assumed."

"Wow," I look at Genesis, and smile through the tears rolling down my cheeks. "We're going to be parents."
Genesis laughs through her tears. "Yeah, we really are."
I bury my face in my hands, and try to slow my beating heart. I didn't even notice Genesis get up from her seat, until she gently removes my hands from my face, and sits on my lap.
Her soft hands wipes my tears, then she gently kisses me on the forehead.
"I'm so sorry, Logan."

"I know, I'm sorry too." I wrap my arms around her waist and pull her to me. We sit there like that for a few minutes, while the reality of the situation settles in.

"We're really going to be parents." I say again.

Genesis nods. "Mmmhmm."

"You think we are going to fuck them up?" I ask her. "Like do you think our kids are going to be crazy?"

Genesis giggles. "Of course they are. Look at their parents."

We both laugh.