Chapter#4-Genesis

"What are we going to do?"
I look at Jamie,my assistant from across my desk, as I chew my lip thinking of an answer. I felt as though that she had asked that question multiple times already, but was patiently waiting for an answer that I could not give.
The problem was, Synch was in  trouble. The new feature on the Synch tablets allowed it to go two days without needing to be charged. Which is good, who doesn't want 48 hour battery life on their electronic devices? However, these two day powered batteries were extremely expensive to produce. With Synch in competition with other big electronic producing companies such as Samsung and Apple, we just hadn't been able to sell enough of the tablets to the public to pay for the shipment of 48 hour powered tablets before hand. Which means, we couldn't pay the stores that sold them, which not only meant sure to come strikes from the employees, but put an enormous amount of debt on the company itself.
Jamie was right.. What were we going to do?
"Gen?"
Jamie snaps me out of my worried thoughts.
She looks at me nervously waiting for an answer.
I shake my head. "I honestly don't know Jamie."
Jamie collapses in the chair. "You do know. You have to know. Genesis, we are in some serious trouble."
I take a deep breath and rub a hand over my face, frustrated. "I know, I know." After thinking for a minute, I clear my throat. "Okay, so The Smile fundraiser is coming up next week right? They'll be using our tablets to keep the children entertained throughout the night before and after their surgery. These are doctors and surgeons using/buying these tablets for a good cause. That's gotta raise some money right?"
Jamie chews her lip and shrug. "Yeah a little I guess."
The Smile fundraiser was a project that allowed specially trained doctors and surgeons to go around to different countries and give free surgeries to children who had cleft lip and couldn't afford the proper treatment. They traveled all over the world performing these  surgeries and often needed entertainment for the children while they were healing, and had called Synch for help.
Jamie stops biting her lip. "That fundraiser is towards the middle of the month. We need to pay those tablets off two weeks before that." She raises an eyebrow. "How are we going to do that?"
I raise my eyebrow right back at her."Simple. We just call the company that makes the tablet and tell them that their checks will be a little bit late. And that there will be a bonus in their next check."
Jamie sighs. "And when you say we you mean--"
"You," I finish for her.
"Goddammit", Jamie says. "And when do you need those numbers by?"
I shrug. "As soon as possible."
Jamie shakes her head, and looks at me. "Here's a thought," she says. "Why don't we just ask your very rich husband, Logan Bennett for the money? I know he has it."
"Logan?" I shake my head. "We can't ask Logan."
"Why not?"
"Because it's silly."
Jamie gives me a look. "It's silly to talk to your very rich husband about your own personal financial problems?"
"No, " I blow a breath of frustration thinking about what Logan had said to me in that elevator. "I...I just want to prove to him that I can run this business by myself. Without help."

Jamie gives me another look. "Gen, it's ok to need help. I'm sure he knows that you are capable of running this business without him. The reality of the situation is that if these workers decide that they aren't to happy with a late check, and we don't get some type of miracle before the end of this month, this company is going to be in some serious trouble."
I shake my head frustrated. "I know that Jamie."
Jamie raises her hands in surrender. "Don't get snippy with me I'm just saying. Maybe it will be better to ask Logan for the money now, then pay him back at the end of the month. That way he won't be giving it to you, he will lending it to you."
I bite my lip thinking. I know she is right. But the truth was, ever since I was in a relationship with Logan I haven't asked him for anything. I made it a point not to ask for anything, especially money. If I couldn't get it in my own, I wouldn't mention it, and after years of trying to make me think otherwise Logan learned to respect my decision.
I glance up at Jamie. "How much money will we owe the company before the end of the month?"
Jamie glances at the papers in her hands. "Twenty-eight thousand dollars and seventy cents."
I take a deep breath. There was no way after years of claiming myself to be independent, will I suddenly go to my husband and ask him for thirty thousand dollars.
"We're going to figure this out." I say sounding more sure than I actually felt. "Ok?"
Jamie looked like she wanted to say more, but instead she nods with me.
"Great. Please go notify the workers about the check, and I'll call the company."
Jamie nods again, and gathers her papers, walking out of the room, already dialing her cellphone.
I turn away, looking out the window, frustrated.
What am I going to do?