Chapter 4 - Impression

-3rd Person-

"Your Majesty" Charles bowed before the King.

"Ah, Charles come." Charles sat down. "Are you happy here at court."

"Of course you majesty, why?"

"It seems your niece finds it overwhelming. She expressed a desire for a small manor to be built close by but away from court life. A bit in between here and your home in Suffolk. Which is why I have had one built. But we both know how she won't personally except such a gift"

"So you wish me to accept the gift on her behalf." Henry nodded

"We will take a look while out hunting."

-Charlotte-

I was invited on a hunt with his majesty and Charles. We had caught some game but I was mainly there to watch.

"Charles, I want to ask you a question." His majesty looked back to me then leaned closer to ask what he wanted. I however could not hear. My Uncle laughed and replied, there was a solemn silence.

"I ask you Majesty's forgiveness."

"I doesn't matter I asked for the truth and you told me." he walked on and I took his place.

"Is anything the matter, Uncle." he smiled at me

"No, of course not." I nodded leaving the matter at that. The King's guards ran ahead

"what's the matter"

"Dismount! Dismount now!" I eased to a stop, two riders dismounted and so did the King. The bowed

"Good morrow."

"Good morrow, you majesty."

"What are your names?"

"William Webb you majesty."

"And your sweethearts?"

"Bess, you majesty." he stood Bess up and removed her scarf. She was pretty.

"I assure your majesty, I have a permission to ride through your majesty's forest. I swear it."  He then looked back at us and stepped away. I tilted my head, surely the King did not miss such a face. I know the mind of a man and presumed he would bed her.

"Show the men you permit and be off. " he mounted his horse again.

"Your majesty?" I wondered

"What have I asked you to call me Lottie."

"My apologies. Henry?"

"Yes."

"May I be so bold as to ask you a question."

"You may."

"Did you not find that woman... desirable?" he looked at me

"I did."

"Then why did you not take her to bed?" My uncle and the King laughed

"I'm sorry I was confused."

"No, No, dearest Lottie. I did so find her desirable but, I have another woman in mind."

"Her majesty" I smiled and his seem to falter.

"Yes, of course. "

"How is her majesty, in her condition it must have been terrible....oh forgive me I'm being too nosey." I shook my head

"It's quite alright. She is faring better I will give her you well wishes." I smiled "Now, I Have a surprise for Your Grace and Lottie." he started galloping and we followed to a small newly built manor.

"It is most beautiful." I breathed and jumped down.

"Do you like it?" Henry asked

"Yes."

"Good because it now belongs in the hand of your Uncle." I turned around

"Really? Oh how magnificent, can I look inside." they both agreed and I ran in. it was small but comforting like a smaller version of home. Close to court but away from all the chatter.

"Thank you, ever so much your majesty."

"It is no problem. I also remember that i never gave you a birthday gift. Follow me."

"Your Aunt and Uncle have a chambers of their own, As well as some for guests. His Grace will have a small entourage her when you at court and not at your home in Suffolk. He opened wardrobes which were filled with dresses.

"Beautiful, I cannot except this."

"You can and you will. "

"The feast was more than enough."

"I will hear it not. Everything in her is a gift. I refuse to take back. Please Lottie, just this once." I bit my lip

"Very well. Thank you, Your majesty." I curtsied he helped me up.

"I wish to know you more...as a friend I shall do nothing to compromise you pride and morals

-----------------

A couple of weeks later I was to attend another feast. His majesty bowed

"Lady Charlotte, if I may." I looked towards my uncle who nodded . We danced and once it was done I clapped. I noticed her majesty and curtsied she smiled somewhat stiffly and gave me a brief nod. I decided to talk to her.

"Your majesty, you look most beautiful this evening."

"Thank you, Lady Charlotte. What a lovely gown."

"Thank you, it was one of those I believe you commissioned."

"Me?"

"Yes, His majesty informed me as a late birthday gift. Not forgetting the manor he gave to my uncle. You both are most kind." I curtsied again and went over to my Uncle.

------