Chapter 2.2

Gekkoukan High School, front gate...

"This is it? THIS is the place? Why HERE?" Junpei asked incredulously.

"Just wait a few minutes... It's almost midnight." Akihiko-senpai replied calmly.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Grooooaaaarr!

I was surprised by the sudden shaking of the ground. But when I steadied myself, I realized it wasn't the ground that was shaking. It was the school itself.

I noticed the pale moon as it turned to yellow almost instantly. The school was transforming. It was gaining so much height that it was dizzying to look at. The school also didn't look like a normal building anymore. It was growing out rocks and stairs and extra walls at random. Only one thing came into my mind as I watched this horrifying sight: The Tower of Babel from the Holy Bible. I wasn't sure why... but that's what it looks like to me.

From what I remember from Greek and Roman Mythologies, Tartarus is where the most despicable criminals are put. It's the deepest hell, in other words?

After the transformation was done, I noticed that Yukari, Junpei and I were staring at our former school with open mouths.

Mitsuru-senpai cleared her throat and said matter-of-factly "This is Tartarus-- the labyrinth that reveals itself during the Dark Hour."

"What happened to our school!?" Junpei demanded.

"Once the Dark Hour passes, everything returns to normal." Mitsuru-senpai soothes Junpei.

"This is the 'nest' you were talking about!?" Junpei asked with uncertainty. "But, why!? ...Why'd our school turn into a giant tower!?"

"......" Mitsuru-senpai doesn't reply.

"...You don't know, either?" Junpei asks.

"...No." Mitsuru-senpai replies a bit disheartened.

"I'm sure it's complicated." Yukari says.

"Well, maybe now we'll find out. Mitsuru and I have only gone in to take a peek; this will be our first time exploring it. Exciting, isn't it?" Akihiko-senpai says, buzzing with obvious excitement. "There has to be some sort of clue in here about the Dark Hour..."

"Akihiko. I respect your enthusiasm, but you won't be accompanying us today." Mitsuru-senpai reminds.

"I know... You don't have to remind me." Akihiko-senpai complains.

I smiled at their bickering. They are like siblings when they're like that.

I looked away and tuned out of their conversations after a few moments. Something claws at my innards. I feel kind of jealous of their relationship. I never had one of those...

I shook my head and concentrated on my surroundings.

'So this is Tartarus...' I thought. I feel kind of nervous now.

After preparing for the exploration of Tartarus, we decide to enter the tower.