Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Birthday

• •

January 2014

ZAYN'S POV

"Happy birthday Zayn!" someone called out to me as soon as I entered the school building.

"Thanks!" I called out to them with an awed smile, hiking my backpack up my shoulder. My popularity status still hadn't worn off, and weirdly so, my temporary popularity brought on from my winning basket was attacting people to big 18th birthday party. Oh, boy.

"Happy eighteen man!"

"Legal citizen now, eh?"

"Can't wait for the party dude!"

I nodded and waved at them all awkwardly. A relieved sigh escaped my lips as my eyes located my three best friends, sitting on the stairs beside the lockers, our usual hangout. Louis and Harry were sat on the steps, with Louis saying something and teasingly ruffling Harry's curls, and Liam was leaning against the wooden banister of the stairs, arms crossed as he too was laughing.

"Happy birthday Zayn!" Liam pulled me into a side hug and patted me on the back with a warm smile. "You all set for the party?"

"Yep! It's gonna be wild!" I cheered, to which Louis and Harry hooted in agreement. They were the ones planning all of this, so of course.

"So I heard you're arranging strippers, is that true?" Harry piped up giddily.

"No, Liam just said that-"

"Oh damn, hope that's true!" Louis remarked with a glint in his eye. Wow. I have perverts for friends.

Perrie and her friends passed by us, and I became self conscious as she shot me a warm smile. "Happy birthday Zayn!"

I smiled back. "Thank you so much! How'd you know it was my birthday?" I asked hopefully.

Perrie laughed. "Well everyone is talking about the last game's star's birthday party, so yeah," she said, and I sighed. Of course.

"You have a date for you party?" The blonde asked me, as my eyes widened.

"N-no. Not yet, I mean no!"

Perrie smiled cutely. "Great! I'd love to me your date then. Here's my number," she continued, taking my hand and scribbling down her digits as Louis hooted in the background. Wow, this was actually happening. Oh my God.

"Great, see you at the party, Perrie," Liam said, not at all sounding like he was looking forward to see her at the party. "We have practice today in last period, don't forget!" Liam called out, and briskly walked away in the direction of the homeroom hall. I shared a confused look with Louis and Harry, who merely shrugged.

"Thanks Perrie," I said nonchalantly, clearing my throat. "See you at my party."

"See you at lunch guys," I turned to Louis and Harry.

"What's up with Liam?" Harry frowned, fiddling with his cross necklace, and I shrugged.

"That's what I'm going to find out," I said, waving to the guys as I caught up to Liam. "Wait up mate! Something wrong?"

Liam shrugged. "Nothing." Oh something was definitely up. He was oddly quiet. And I know something's wrong because Liam is never this quiet. Especially around me. And I'm his best friend, I can always tell.

"Liam, stop BS-ing me. I've known you since we were kids. Now spill."

"I'll tell you later." Well this got me curious. And worried.