Seventeen

Teri

I was seated in the hospital closest to Sherri's home, being there for an hour and hadn't heard any news regarding her. And because of that, my heart was racing rapidly.

I even tried to contact her family but no one answered or returned any of the calls. Therefore, I left them all voice messages with hopes that they'd contact me.

After I had seen Sherri so motionless, it was almost as if part of my soul had left my body. I had seen rather drastic things, but seeing my fiance in that state will scar me forever.

Impatiently, I stood from where my rear end had been resting and marched to the front desk of the lobby.
There, a middle aged woman with endless blonde hair sat. "Hello." She greeted me. "What can I help you with?"

"Um, can you tell me anything about my fiance Sherri Saum? She was brought here by the paramedics not too long ago."

The blonde's brows rose. "You're talking about a woman, right?"

"No a horse." I sighed, then rose my voice. "Yes I'm talking about a woman! Is there anything you can tell me or someone else I can talk to?!"

She shook her head from side to side. "Ma'am, there's nothing I can tell you, because there's nothing that I know."

"Not even a room number?!"

The lady then began to push buttons on the keyboard and examined words on the computer screen stationed before her. "Unfortunately, I can't find a room number here for her. So I'm assuming she hasn't been placed in one yet."

"Okay, and what does that mean?!"

"If I knew, I would tell you but--"

Her sentence was interrupted by a familiar, and rather deep voice mouthing my name.
I turned to face the human form that owned that voice. It was Khamar. As he came closer, he placed his muscular arms around me. "How is she? Is she okay?"

I sighed. How could I give him answers when nobody had been giving me any? "I don't know, no one's saying anything."

"Wow." Khamar's forehead found the palms of his left hand. "Listen, I forgot something in my car, I'll be right back."

As he began exiting the waiting area, Sherri's mom and sister Lisa entered. They rush over to me as soon as their eyes catch me.

"What's going on, Teri?" Lisa looked at me with tears in her eyes.

Mama Saum looked concerned as worry covered her face. "Where is she? Where's my baby?"

Slowly, I walked back to the seat I had been seating in once before, breathing deeply as Sherri's mom and sister follows. The two of them took a seat opposite of me. "Did you two listen to the voice message I sent?"

Mama Saum eyed me as if I were crazy. "Honey, as soon as I heard 'Sherri's been rushed to the hospital, come immediately' everything after that went through one ear and right out of the other one."

"I uh--I found her unresponsive, in her bedroom." I tried not to make eye contact with Sherri's mom. I couldn't face the disbelief in her face after hearing those words roll from my tongue.

Preventing her from responding was a man dressed in a long, white jacket. Upon his pocket, an imprint of words sat. And, in his hands sat a clipboard full of medical terms. "Saum?"

Sherri

Voices. Unclear and and unknown voices. And, beeping noises. That was the only sound I heard. Everything was pitch black, no other color.

As much as I wanted to, my eyes just wouldn't let me see. They wouldn't open. Also, I could feel something in my mouth and whatever it was, it was preventing me from speaking. But, that wasn't all the trouble. The hardest thing for me was to breathe. I couldn't breathe and I was sure that wasn't a choice of my own. It was my body.

My body was changing and I could feel it. Something was definitely wrong with me and that was clear.
I mean, was this happening to me because of my illness? Was it already trying to take over my body?

If that was the case, then I guess it was time to fight. Time to fight for my health before my health would fight me.

Teri

As the man called out Sherri's last name, her family and I rose from our seats and each of our hearts were beating faster than anyone could imagine.

The doctor walked over to us and pointed to Mama Saum. "Are you the mother?"

Her head went up and down. "I am."

"Ma'am, your daughter is um—" He paused, gathering the words in his throat. "The reason she had been found in the condition she was in is because her kidneys are failing."

"Well, we know that she has Kidney Failure." Lisa added. "She's on dialysis and she's even going to treatments, right Teri?" She then looked at me.

"Definitely." My head moved in an up and down fashion.

"Okay, okay." The doctor went on. "By looking over the x-rays we have, it has been brought to my attention that her kidney's are overly aggressive than they had been before. And, because of that Ms. Saum happened to slip into a coma."

My mouth dropped. "A coma? That fast?! Ten minutes before I found her that way she was perfectly fine. I mean, she had a headache. But still--"

"So what's going on?" Mama Saum asked, holding her chest. "What're you guys gonna do?"

Doc sighed. "Well that depends. We have to--" He stopped and looked past us, hearing footsteps grow closer from behind.

Lisa, Mama Saum, and me turned to face the bodies walking towards us, and when I saw whom it was, my eyes widened in shock.

"Sheila?!" I called out to the woman I once considered a friend. (Y'all remember Sheila, right? Teri was going through a divorce and instead of being there for Teri she ran off with some man... a few chapters back?...😮).

Her hands were combined with Khamar's, and she had a slight smile resting upon her face.

What was she doing here? And, why was she with Khamar?

A/N
Is Sheila and Khamar seeing each other? Let's not forget Sheila has another man in another state. 😐😳.
And My Sher Bear being in a coma? 💔 Your thoughts?
-Not Edited
-Chapter Dedication : Military_Lover scorpun