Eleven

(Two days since Sherri's doctor's appointment.)

Sherri

"It is what it is."

I sat with my head held high and hands clutched together as Khamar sat directly across from me, throwing his angry feelings in my direction. His lawyer was seated beside him, backing up every word he spoke.

Today was the day of which we planned to finalize our divorce. Everything that we had ever shared and owned, preferably financially and materialistically, had to be thrown on the table. We'd have to go over the basics, and so forth. I was open to speak on any and everything, I was just ready for the moment where I'd finally be freed from the title of "Khamar's wife".

"So, Khamar is open to leaving you with the house." Khamar's lawyer, Attorney Yaano, said gaining my attention. "He also requested that the money from your joint account be split down the middle."

I shook my head from side to side, chuckling ironically. "Split down the middle?! That's funny. Considering I'm the reason that money is even there, but okay. It is what it is."

"So, what about custody?" My lawyer intervened. "That's a topic we have yet to cover."

"Khamar has mentioned to me that he prefers joint custody." Yaano replied.

I grew of disbelief. I knew that it was difficult to divorce when you had kids, but I didn't want this to go further than it needed to.
"Okay, well I don't prefer that. The boys aren't only my kids, they're his too. And, I don't feel its appropriate that they only see him every other week or weekend. I want Khamar to be able to see the kids when he wants to, not just on a reserved day."

I looked over at Khamar. He had this madness circulating his body. I knew this would be the day he hated, but he had himself to thank for that. "I wouldn't last a day without them."
He spoke sternly. "So, you get a week of the boys, then I get a week."

"No, I'm not doing that." I disagree as my eyes found my lawyer's. "And, I don't want this to turn into a custody battle, so Khamar, please stop trying to make it one."

He looked at me sideways, speaking with a tone I hadn't found amusing. "See, I thought of filing for full custody, but because I don't want to be selfish and take my boys away from their mother--"

"What?! Why would you consider something like that? And, why do you seem so angry with me as if I did something wrong here?! Are you forgetting that you're the one that had an affair?!" I precluded his words, growing of rage.

He didn't respond, instead he shook his head in disbelief as he released many breaths, indignantly.

I sighed, growing vexed. I had never experienced a divorce, but I did hear that it could be one of the most difficult things you'd ever deal with. And, right now, after listening to Khamar even consider taking my boys, I was outdone. I was furious. "You're so angry with me. Why?!"

He rose from his chair, raising his voice. "I don't want to go through with this damn divorce, and you know that! You should be more than happy that I even signed the papers."

I rose from my seat with my eyes squinted, causing my lawyer to stand as well. "So, you're angry because you don't want to lose me?! Khamar,  you're the reason I'm leaving. I went to therapy with you, and I've done everything I could possibly do to make us work. But, we were broken, and you can't always fix what's broken. You just have to let it be." I paused, allowing tears to fall from my eyes. "So, that's what I am doing. And, I assure you, if you try to take my children away from me, be prepared to go through hell."