Twelve

Sherri

As Teri and I were both seated before a  Nephrologist, a doctor that specialized in working with Kidneys, my heart was surely sinking through the teal colored shirt that I was wearing.
Ever since I read those results, I had been covered in fear, while Teri was smothered in worrisome.

"Sherri, it appears that you're suffering from a chronic Kidney Disease." Dr. Wu, the Nephrologist confirmed.

I watched as Teri developed a concerned, curious expression upon her face. "I just don't understand. What caused this?!" 

"Well, there's fluid sitting in her lungs." Dr. Wu pulled out images from an xray of my kidneys and lungs, then pointed to a specific spot. "And, if it isn't treated and removed right away, things could worsen."

"What kind of treatment will I receive?" I asked, studying the xray images. 

"Dialysis." He explained that I'd be hooked up to a machine. Apparently, it was supposed to drain the fluid and hopefully restrengthen my kidneys.

My head moved in an up and down fashion as I took in the information he had given. I could. only hope that whatever treatment process I was to recieve worked wonderfully and restored my damaged kidneys. I needed to be healthy, I needed to be okay. I had children to take care of. "How long will I have to be treated with Dialysis?"

Dr. Wu handed me paper work as he responded to my question. "Months, years. Some people are treated lifelong."

"So, when will the treatment start?" Teri asked, placing the palm of her right hand in mine.

"As soon as possible."

Teri

I sat in the living quarters of my home, completely flabbergasted of Sherri's disease.
How could this have happen happened so suddenly? As soon as we established a relationship and as soon as Sher was beginning to heal from the brokenness of Khamar's affair, she got hit with a life threatening disease.

"Mom we're hungry." Bayley, my daughter, declared as she and her brother Griffin entered the living area.

When I studied their faces, I felt absolutely horrible that they were just as clueless as could be, and that they didn't know what was happening around them. They had the right to be made aware.
My arms flew open as they offered a hug.  "Come here, babies."

The both of them took a spot underneath each arm.

"Before I get dinner started, I'd like to talk about something."

Griffin's eyes grew wide. "Hey, if its about chores, I'm sorry I keep forgetting to empty the trash."

I began to chuckle. "Although I'll kick your butt if you keep forgetting, I promise you it has nothing to do with chores."
I watched as Bayley almost seems confused. "Then what is it about?"

I took a deep breath before releasing any further words. I then watched as curiosity ate at my children's faces.
"Well, you know how I work with Sherri and we pretend to be two moms married and in love?"

"Mhmm." Bayley responded as Griffin's head goes up and down.

"Well, just like on the show, Sherri and I love each other in real life. Very much. We're--"

My daughter stopped my sentence with, "Yeah, we can tell!"

"What do you mean by that?" I eyed her, astonishingly.

"We see how close you guys are with each other. You're like..." Griffin began then paused, reaching for an ending to his sentence. "..the bestest of friends."