Roots - Chapter 25

Chapter Twenty-Five

Darkness to Light

“The mystery when darkness turns to light

The great release when wrong will turn to right

I want to see when darkness turns to light

When the waking winds will reach my mind

And blow the night away…”

 – Rage (Darkness Turns to Light)

The world was dark and blurry, when I began to wake up from being drugged.  I could hear the deep humming from the engine as we accelerated and then slowed down, then it repeated.  Muffled voices began to register in my buzzing and pounding head, and as I tried to open my eyes again the colors of dark grey and black just filled my blurred and spinning vision.

“She’s waking up.” I heard one of the men in the car say in Russian as we continued to drive.

“Ah Duchess, I would ask if you slept well, but from your screams and painful whimpers, I would say you didn’t.” I heard Victor’s voice fill the darkness trailed by several laughs.

“Whhhattt, dodododo mmmm.” I tried to ask the question that was in my head, but my numb heavy tongue wouldn’t let me.  What did they want? I thought again in my head more clearly as I tried again to ask the question, but failed due to whatever they gave me.

“Why don’t you just do yourself a favor, and not try to talk just yet.” Victor said before whispering something to another man.  I had to get out of this, but how? Was Mr. Poloski or anyone else looking for me? Where were they taking me? I began to ask myself as my eyes started to become clearer.  My head was still pounding as if I had the worst hangover imaginable, or as if I had been to the loudest rock concert ever.  My ears were ringing so loud, and with all the movements that the car was making I was able to feel that I was sitting in between two other men.  What did they give me I wondered for a brief moment, as I felt myself slowly moving my head off of the guy to my left’s shoulder and began to take in my surroundings.

We were in a dark SUV of some kind, with dark interior, windows, and to make matters worse it was still night outside.  How long had we’ve been driving? How long have I been out of it? I continued to think of questions as my heart began to race.  I began to look around the vehicle and every time my eyes locked with another one of Victor’s men, they would either look at me with a blank hard face, or just completely ignore me. I didn’t realize until I went to reach for the door that my hand were tied together and connected with the man to my right’s wrist with a plastic tie, where there was no way I could even pull off a James Bond move to try to escape.  God please get me out of this! I begged as I looked up to the guy who I was linked to who only briefly looked down at me then back out the dark tinted window.

“Ppplease.” I said with a slurred stutter, my eyes now filling up with fearful tears.

“Aww look she’s scared. Don’t worry Duchess we’re almost there.” Victor said with a mocking grin, before ordering the driver to go faster.

I didn’t know how much longer it was until I began to see street lights, or where exactly we were, but before I knew it I was being pushed out of the car, and carried into some dark, old building that sent a wave of shiver down my spine.  It was only then that I could see Ros’ story begin to play out as my own, because I too was in some sort of an abandon warehouse or mill. Yet, this time it didn’t look quite as abandon as the place Ros had described, because as my eyes began to take in the furniture I quickly realize that Victor’s men most come to this place a lot, or someone else lived here.  There were normal furniture like any other living room, or lounge, and televisions all over the place that were either showing the news, watching another television show, or a few of the men were watching a movie in Russian.  My eyes flashed to the televisions with the news flashing my picture across the screen.  Dozens of reporters were announcing my kidnapping during my coming out masquerade ball.  It was when I saw my mother’s face on television that my heart sunk; people were already invading her privacy about the news of my capture.  My ears began to strain to hear what she had to say in response so some reporter’s question.