Roots - Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty

An Unexpected Meeting

I looked at my silent audience; I could only smile as I knew that this moment was going to change the rest of my life.  I saw how my life would be if I chose either choice, and I knew that no matter what was about to happen I would always engrained in their minds as the American girl who is the long last great granddaughter of their beloved Anastasia.  I looked over to Ros, who was just waiting for me to continue, and gave me an encouraging half smile, as he anxiously listened for my next words.

I finally looked over to Mr. Poloski who nodded for me to continue, and then finally, as I looked back at Count Dubrov and the rest of my extended family, I spoke.

"But as Annalisa Nicola Dimitriievna Peterson Romanova, Tsarevna of Russia. So, to answer your questions, yes I would like to accept my rightful place as heir to the Russian throne." I said with a huge grin.  I had done it.  I had made the most important decision of my life, and I was not going to regret it for one second. The only question I had now was what happens now?

Talk filled the room, some people smiling, others looking shock at my choice, then there were others that did not look happy at all.  My eyes glanced back at Mr. Poloski who had finally come closer to my side and gave me a hug.

"Well done my dear, your great grandmamma would be proud if she was here, and something tells me she already knew what choice you were going to go with." Mr. Poloski said in a whisper as he looked down at me and smiled.  I couldn't help but not smile at this moment; I was finally accepting my fate, my new life, my imperial role of being the heir to the long empty Russian throne. I only wished that Mandy and Eric, not to mention my mom and Nunna could've been here.  I wished silently to myself.  I had wondered what exactly Mandy and Eric were up to, since they were still at the hotel.  I looked down at my own clothes, knowing that I desperately needed to change and take a shower.

"Do you think I can go back to the hotel soon?  I really need to change and take a shower, not to mention I really need a Mandy hug." I said with a small smile as I whispered to Mr. Poloski who was now shaking hands with some of the other royals.

"Yeah that can be arranged, it will give me time to figure out a press release and other important matters."  Mr. Poloski said as he motioned for Ros and Count Dubrov to come over to us.

"Press relase?  What? Why?"  I asked.  Didn't I just announce my decision, wasn't it final? I thought frantically in my mind, as I looked up at Ros who was trying to avoid meeting my gaze for some reason.

"Lisa, you have made your decision which is great, but we need to let the public know before it leaks out and then it will be utter chaos." Mr. Poloski said as he began to state what my plans were.

"We can have her clothes be sent here, William.  No need for her to go back to that hotel." Count Dubrov said as he started to call someone on his cell phone.

"No, she's insisting on seeing her friends and quite honestly I don't blame her for wanting to do one last thing that's normal.  After all, after tomorrow, our entire lives will change." Mr. Poloski said with an uneasy smile.

"Very well, if that's what you wish, your Highness. I will send for a car.  However, please do know William, and your Highness, that we do have much to discuss about what's to happen next." Count Dubrov said with a serious face.

"Yes, which is why I'm hoping you and I can discuss some of it while she heads back to the hotel." Mr. Poloski replied to his Uncle.

"And leave her to travel alone?  I think not.  Ros you will go with her."  Count Dubrov commanded as he looked at me then to Ros.  Ros' eyes finally met mine, and I knew the last place and the last person he wanted to talk to was me.