Roots - Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

Dinner for Five plus One

Two hours, two hours was all the time I had to get ready for the meeting that could probably change the rest of my life, or at least make it even more interesting than it already was.  Not to mention that thirty minutes out the two hours was used up by trying to decide what to wear.  Mandy and I were lucky to go shopping a few days prior to the trip, and we were able to buy some dinner dresses, and even a formal gown, if we needed it, however I didn’t know how formal this dinner was suppose to be.  Was I supposed to know this Count Dubrov was royalty? Was I supposed to know that Mr. Poloski was royalty too?  How was I supposed to act at dinner? Do I bow, do I shake his hand?  What if he notices the resemblances of me to my other royal family, which I still had yet to meet?  I tried to remember the last minute lessons that Nunna taught me just days before we left to come to St. Petersburg, and then I even helped Mandy for a brief moment before we walked out of our hotel room and went down to the awaiting car that was for us.

“I’m never going to remember all of this you know Lisa.” Mandy said as she tried one more time in her dress and heels to do a proper semi-formal bow.

“Me either, I’m just going try to remember to not fall, I mean I don’t know why I decided to dress in these heels.” I said nervously as we walked outside of the hotel to the black Lincoln town escort car.

“Maybe because they look amazing with your dress. Don’t worry, you won’t trip, and if you do, just remember to fall gracefully.” She said with a little giggle causing me to crack a smile with her while remembering when I told her about my grandmother’s last minute etiquette lessons and her telling me if I must fall to fall gracefully, whatever that means. 

“Good evening ladies.” The driver said as he opened the car door for us allowing us to slide into the car where Mr. Poloski and Eric were already waiting for us in, and boy did those two clean up good.

“Wow, Eric, I haven’t seen you looking this fancy since prom.” Mandy said with a smile as she slid to the middle seat next to him.  He was looking great in his all black suit ensemble, yet I began to laugh when I saw his black and white checkered chucks underneath his pants.

“Hey don’t laugh; I forgot to bring my other shoes.” He said as he smiled and adjusted his pant legs over his shoes a little more.

“Well, I’m sure no one is going to be paying attention to your feet.” I said with a smile, as I tried to ease his embarrassment.

“Yeah whatever, I don’t really care anyways, I’m a guy, and I don’t have to be all into fashion like you two ladies.” He said with a shrug and a smirk as he finally checked out the dresses that Mandy and I were wearing.

I was grateful that the awkwardness had subsided for a little bit as we drove towards the restaurant that Mr. Poloski had arranged for us to eat at with his uncle.  My nerves were beginning to grow more and more noticeable with every moment that passed, and even when I glanced at Mr. Poloski, he seemed to be unusually quiet himself because of this meeting.  I just prayed that I would represent my family well tonight, that I could act like a Grand Duchess that I am, and that I could become mentally prepared for the possible royal life ahead of me.