Roots - Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

A Palace of Memories

The next morning I woke up early, at least before Mandy was up, and when I went downstairs to the lobby I didn’t see Eric or Mr. Poloski.  I hadn’t really slept at all, and yet my body felt wired. My mind was still being flooded with questions, assumptions, and even possibilities from last night’s dinner.  Was Ros really able to take the throne if he wanted to?  Did I care if he did or not? If Ros is a Romanov, then could his parents know how to connect Nunna’s family with her, or did I even want to risk it?  These were the common thoughts and questions going through my head all night and even when I sat at the hotel’s restaurant to eat breakfast.  I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn’t notice Mr. Poloski walk up with a plate and sat down in front of me, causing me to snap out of my daydreaming thoughts.

“You’re up early this morning Lisa.” Mr. Poloski said as he took a sip of his steaming coffee.

“Sorry, I was lost in thoughts. Yeah I couldn’t really sleep. You’re up early too.”

“Lisa, I’m a teacher, most teachers have to be up by five and six to be at school before the school doors open.  Anyways, how are you feeling about last night’s meeting?  I apologize; I didn’t know that Ros was going to be there.” He said as he started putting jelly on a biscuit.

“Last night, last night was interesting.  It was amazing meeting them, I was honestly a little mad that Ros would take my throne…I mean the throne that rightfully belongs to my great grandmamma and I. And then again in a way it’s almost refreshing to hear that he could take it, because you’re right, I’m not prepared for that kind of life.  And he’s really my cousin, he’s a Romanov?”

“Yes, he is. And it really pleases me to hear you talk about the future, because Lisa, I thought we would have more time to really think and discuss this but I need to lay out some of the facts for you, before we go to the Alexander Palace today, and definitely before you meet a lot more of your extended family later this week.” He said as he took a sip of his coffee before continuing in a much more hushed tone. “Lisa, your great grandmother’s time is almost up.  She didn’t want you to worry about it before you left for Russia, because she knew how important it was to you, but last week when I met with her during my lunch break, she broke the news to me.  She doesn’t know exactly how much longer she has, but she knows that she is dying.  It could be weeks or months, perhaps another year or so, but either way she has formally renounced her claim to the throne to me and Bishop Udeze, which means that you are the only rightful heir to the Russian throne now.  Ros can only claim it, if you formally renounce it, but before you decide or take action or  anything please think long and hard about it.  Once you give it up, you can’t take it back.  If this is the path you truly want to go down, then I will help you.  I’ve studied a great deal about Russian government and laws, and I believe that we could create a peace between you and the prime minister, like your cousins in England have done.  Just take some time today as we tour the palace to really connect with your family’s past, and then make a decision. Just keep in mind; we don’t know how much longer we have.” Mr. Poloski finished saying before finishing his breakfast, leaving me to slowly process everything that he had just said in my already chaotic mind. So not only was Nunna dying, but now I was on a time limit to decide the most important decision of my life that would not only affect my life and my family’s life, but also my friends’ lives, and perhaps the entire world, as well as Russia, the constant thought echoed in my mind as I just stared at my plate then back up at Mr. Poloski who was studying my reaction to the news. However a thought that had started to creep up in the back of my mind that was starting to scare me to death was could I do it?