Chapter Twenty- two

Start from the beginning

A pleasant silence fell among us again as all of us -I'm pretty sure, were remembering our mothers- stared out the windows of the jeep. Endless trees swished by, the sky was still dark, but far out in the distance a light orange color was peeking through from the tall, shadowy mountains that lined the Californian land that we were leaving behind.

***

"Sweet, sweet Oregon," Jaylen sighed as we entered the state line. Rolling down his window he suck his head outside and took a big whiff, "yep, still smells the same."

Cory and Daniel shook their heads in disappointment. "Why wouldn't it?" Cory asked turning to look at Jaylen with a dumbfounded expression highlighting his face.

"Global warming or something... gosh Cory keep up." Retards didn't even know what they were talking about, I kept my mouth shut and looked out the window. Everything look empty and for some weird reason there wasn't as many cars out on the road. Maybe I should sleep...

~~~

"Rise and shine Sleeping Beauty."

"Huh...," I quickly dropped my arm that I had across my face blocking the sun to see Jaylen smiling down at me happily.

"Grubbin' time baby girl," He chuckled in a southern accent.

"Where are we?" I croaked sitting up. God, it's bright.

"Oregon, Dorothy," he grinned, "somewhere in the middle."

"I was out for that long?" I knew we were in Oregon, but already half way through the state...damn, the girl must be driving like a maniac.

"Well, it normally takes twelve hours from Oregon to Canada. Soo we are doing good time," Jaylen said casually as he jumped off the jeep with me following behind him.

A small liquor store met my eyes. It was somewhat rundown with boarded up windows and the door was gone. "I'm not eating anything from there!" I shouted as the girl, Cory, and Daniel disappeared into the darkness of the store with their weapons ready to fire.

I leaned against the jeep rubbing the tiredness from my still sleepy eyes. I just want to curl up and keep sleeping because after seeing where my food is going to be coming from I'm not so hungry anymore.

"Its always packaged, stop being such a girl," Jaylen scoffed as he leaned against the jeep too with a machine gun resting across his chest.

"What city are we in?" I asked looking around. I've never been to Oregon before. Its okay...

"I'm not sure... all the signs were covered up by paint and junk."

"That's weird, I mean-"

"Put your hands on your head, and you with the hair, drop the gun" a voice growled from in front of us cutting me off, "NOW!"

"Okay, sir," Jaylen said setting the gun down carefully. A beer belly, bald man stood in front of us with a rifle aimed at our heads, behind him a blonde, blue-eyed boy with a handgun.

"What do you want?" I growled.

"I want that nice ride you got there," the man spoke, "I haven't driven in such a long time. Get on your knees, both of you!"

"No," I smiled as I saw the Santana, Cory and Daniel coming out the store quietly, "shoot me!" I laughed spreading out my hands.

"If ya' want," he sneered raising his rifle to eye level aiming it at my head.

"Hey," Santana growled from behind the man with Marcy -my shotgun- touching the man's skull, "You shoot him, I shoot you."

"You shoot my daddy, I shoot you," the boy said from behind the girl, pointing his handgun at her back.