chapter ten

So I'm up loading from my cell phone, hopefully the format doesn't get messed up, anyways two chapters in a day! yay. Any who hope you enjoy and stuff. Song I was listening while writing this chapter was astro zombies by the misfits. Good song. Classic. Enjoy :D

-----------------------------------------

Chapter 10- Daniel's POV

Silence and confusion filled the now extremely large feeling room. It was suffocating. Everyone's face displaced hurt and uncertainty, even the girl's.

"Were you just playing us? Waiting for us to be distracted to feed us to the rabid shits outside?" Jaylen said sounding sad and hurt. His face no longer displaying that happy smile from a couple seconds ago.

"No, its not like that," she gushed running her hands though her face.

"Then hurry and explain," Santos growled once again glaring at her. His eyes clouded by new found hate and distrust to the stranger in front of us. She no longer was one of us. She was now a stranger, a liar.

"You guys have to shut and listen til' I'm done speaking, no questions asked until after, no interrupting. Deal?" She said seriously looking into everyone's eyes.

Tony and Cory were just confused. They didn't know what was going on, they nodded and shot questioning looks to all of us. I ignored them and focused back on the girl. Santos, Jaylen, and I nodded glaring at her.

She took a deep breath and looked at us, "I don't where to start," she said to herself huffing in annoyance.

"What is this?" Santos hissed angry as hell holding up the container with test tubes. His eyes taking in the reddish substance in the tubes.

"Be careful with that," she said looking intently at Santos, "and that is blood, let me start from the beginning."

I looked at her with confusion. I wasn't so much angry as Santos, or hurt as Jaylen, I was confused. What was she not telling us about? Why didn't she tell us this from the beginning?

"First of all, I don't serve the United States of America," she looked up from her lap meeting our weirded out faces, "I was sent to 'supervise' an experiment," she said putting quotation marks around supervise, "the virus was not accidental, the mutation was the aftermath of what some lunatic scientists really wanted to accomplish. They created the virus, the one causing all of this on purpose," she motioned around her,"and using the mutation as a cover up."

"Why would they do that?" Jaylen asked suddenly. She shot him a look, "sorry, its a habit," he shrugged smiling sheepishly.

"One of the head scientist, in the military base near here, hence my presence in this town, had a theory that interested the secretary of defense. I assume he wasn't all there because he agreed with this crazed scientist," she paused and looked up at us, "you guys know about the survival of the fittest? Darwin's theory?" We nodded and she smiled weakly continuing, "well that was their plan. They wanted less people, ones that were more intelligent and stronger, the fittest, a greater race. A superior racejust like Hitler wanted."

"I still don't see what the virus has to do with the quacks," Jaylen said thoughtfully.

"Before the epidemic broke out the pair actually tried to get the plan approved. That's why I was sent to check out the situation. Anyways, they were arrested but that didn't stop the other scientists that agreed with them, they convinced everyone that they could mutate a human making them superior, a fighting machine. Of course the government couldn't refuse, but you see that's inhumanly impossible. You can't modify a human without distorting the original genetic information, their DNA, causing problems within the humans, of course some might be good like what happened to spider man and all those super heroes but those chances are rare, almost impossible. Long story short these scientists pretended to mutate the human, but instead they created the virus releasing it into the world so nature could essentially take its coarse. The weak would get killed off, the smart, stronger ones would survive thus replenishing the earth with a better, healthier, superior race then before."

"I see, that makes sense actually," Jaylen said seriously.

"What's the blood for?" Santos asked.

We all looked at Santos. He was still holding the container looking less angry.

"First put it down. I don't want you to freak out and toss it."

Santos face suddenly twisted to disgust quickly setting it down on the shelf next to him. We all chuckled slightly at his expression.

"One tube contains a blood sample before the mutation and the other after," she scratched her head nervously, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you guys from the beginning but I didn't want to frighten you, and even though most of the government is destroyed I swore not to reveal confidential information." She smiled weakly getting up from her seat stretching out her hand to Jaylen.

He looked at her hand and without hesitation took it and shook it vigorously. She smile genuinely at him, Jaylen being Jaylen smiled back.

"It was nice meeting you Jaylen," she whispered to him. He nodded in agreement.

"Same too you," he whispered, "your the craziest chick I've met," he said embracing her into a bear hug.

I guess we are saying our goodbyes. she came to me and smiled stretching out her hand. I looked at it ignoring it and giving her a tight hug. I'm not much of a grudge-holding person.

She laughed and hugged me back. "Stay golden Danny," she whispered making me smile. That's what coach used to say.

She pulled away and stood in front of Tony. She looked at him and patted him on the back. "Stay away from Jaylen when he has a gun okay?" He grinned and nodded making us chuckle, minus Santos of course.

She crouched down in front of Cory. "Be careful," she said in a motherly tone, "don't let people boss you around," she smiled ruffling his hair, "you remind me of my little brother. So girly," she smirked making Cory groan.

Reaching Santos she picked up the container and notebook placing them back in her pockets. She looked up at Santos glaring at him.

"Can I have my picture back?" She asked in commanding tone. He looked taken a back by her tone with him, not friendly at all.

"I don't even get a handshake?" He asked with a smirk playing on his lips. I guess all is forgotten.

"Not until I get my picture," she stated firmly.

"You make cute babies," he smiled handing her the picture. She blushed before coughing awkwardly.

"I wouldn't know," she said eyeing Santos. He looked at her puzzled before catching on. He nodded dismissing the picture as her brother because it looked slightly like Cory, girly.

She stretched out her hand and waited for Santos to take it but he didn't. He just stared at her. His eyes glowing bright green. Dropping her hand, she stepped around him but Santos moved too blocking her way.

"What's up the goodbyes?" He asked her grinning mischievously.

"We are parting our different ways," she said in a 'duh' tone.

"And who said that?" He smiled brightly. She looked confused, but smiled anyways.

I guess we are going to be soldiers now. Great.