Chapter 16

Ryder

After my call with Greg Martin, I received at least three more calls from former potential partnerships declining my business proposals. To make matters worse, my father came to my office telling me that I should stay home for a while. He's still very upset, we've barely talked to each other unless it was about work. I feel like everyone has abandoned me besides my sister and Stephanie. 

Even through all the nasty comments the public have throwing at Stephanie, she has been so strong through everything and has been so supportive. Not once has she broken down and wanted to give up and I really needed her right now. Whenever I was down, she always knew how to cheer me up. I felt so lucky to have her in my life.

"Mr. Fitzgerald, I just wanted to let you know that I'm leaving for the day. If you need anything just give me a call." Taryn announced with her coat and purse in her hands. 

"Okay Taryn, thank you for all the hard work. I'll see you tomorrow." The door shut and I leaned back in my chair closing my eyes. Today has been hell. I don't know how much longer I can stand this. Maybe my dad is right, maybe I should take a few weeks off. 

I heard the door to my office open, but I was too mentally and physically exhausted that I didn't waste my time looking at who it was. Whoever it was still hadn't spoken a word and I didn't hear any movement, maybe they left. Good, I didn't feel like talking to anyone. 

Suddenly, I felt weight on my lap and my eyes shot open. Relief swept through me when I saw Stephanie smiling down at me. I wrapped my arms around her and held her close. 

"Why the long face Ry? Is everything okay?" Stephanie asked with a worried look on her face. She lifted her hands and tangled them in my hair. I closed my eyes and leaned into her touch. 

"It's nothing. I feel a lot better with you here in my arms. I've missed you, a lot." I assured and pulled her down for a kiss. She giggled through our kiss and I suddenly felt like all my problems have vanished. We continued kissing for a few more minutes before there was a knock at my door. 

Stephanie quickly got off my lap and we both straightened ourselves out. "Come in!" I yelled once we both looked normal again. The door open and Hannah peeked her head in with a smile on her face. Stephanie and I both relaxed a bit. 

"Hello lovebirds. Miss me?" Hannah laughed with a knowing look on her face. Stephanie walked up to her and gave her a hug. I smiled at the sight, it felt good knowing that my sister didn't hate me. My smile quickly washed off my face when I noticed someone else walk into my office. 

"What are you doing here?" I groaned with a frown on my face. 

"Oh come on Ryder. We're going to be family, you have to get used to that fact. You'll be seeing a lot more of me in the future." Kyle replied with a smirk on his face. 

"I still don't understand why my sister would ever want to marry you. I would say she was making the biggest mistake of her life." I scuffed as I stood up and walked towards Stephanie.

"RYDER! Don't be rude." Hannah ordered. "Just give him a chance, I love him and he loves me. Can't you just do me this one favor?" Anyone could see how much my sister and Kyle loved each other, but I couldn't help feeling like he wasn't good enough for her. Stephanie nudged me in the stomach, when I looked down at her she gave me a look telling me to behave. 

"Fine, fine. We can all get together at my place this weekend and hang out. I'll try to be nice, but no promises." I surrendered. Hannah's face filled with happiness and that was enough to make my uneasiness tone down. If my sister was happy, who was I to take that away from her.