17| The Exchange

Kyle's POV

     After an hour of walking, climbing, and almost falling, we had finally made it up to the first set of caves.

     Will whistled.  "Dang."

     "Which entrance should we use?"  I asked, not really talking speaking to anyone in particular.

     "I think we should go to the far left one.  It seems the widest." Staci suggested.

     "Why not the middle one?  That's gotta be it!"  Will gestured dramatically with his hands.  "Look, it's clear and open!  How many movies have you seen where the destination isn't the center entrance?"

     "What do you think, sir?"  Staci asked the man we'd rescued.

     He pointed to what looked to be the smallest of the five bottom entrances, and started walking towards it, quite determined.

     "Uh, I guess we're going to this one, then."  I said awkwardly.

     I exchanged looks with my two friends, and we reluctantly followed.

     Staci turned on her flashlight and handed it to the man, who decided he would lead the way.  As the daylight behind us dimmed, we noticed a few tiny green rocks spread out amongst the walls, slightly illuminating the path in shades of neon.  It was a really beautiful sight.

     "Wow."  I mumbled, gawking as I looked around.

     "Do you know where you're going, Doctor?"  Staci asked.

     ". . . No."  He said quietly.  "I'm just listening to what They tell me."

     Huh?

     "Wha—? They?  Who's—"  She couldn't continue her baffled questions, for the entire cave began to rumble.

     "What the heck is happening?!" Will shouted, as Staci screamed and covered her head in fear.  He ran over to her and held her in his arms, trying to shield her from any falling rock.

     I was on the ground, as well trying to protect myself.  The man still stood calmly, looking around as the walls began to expand.

     Then, everything was still.

     So still and quiet, we all were frozen in confusion and patience, waiting for whatever was about to happen next.

     A thin circle outline was randomly drawn into the center of the newly-created room, like something had cut through the solid rock.  The circle then completed taking shape and dropped, leaving a deep hole in its place.

     Soon, there was light rising from the pit, and Will, Staci and I all scooted back from where we were sitting.  The man still stood, waiting neutrally.

     A ball of orange, red, and yellow floated before us, and a lock was chained around it.  Suddenly, a recorded voice boomed about the room.

     "Bring forth the key to continue your journey with success."

     What?  Key?

     The man walked towards the center of the room and turned back to face us.

     "You three need to repeat these words, in unison:

     I hereby relieve my helper from his duty and release him from existence."

     "What's going to happen?"  Staci asked.

     "I'll be locked into this"—He pointed to the glowing ball of light—"and be taken to eternal slumber." He explained.

     "You can't help us anymore?"  I questioned, confused.

     "I'm afraid not. She doesn't want me to, from here on out.

     Hmm. She.

     "Well, thank you sir." I said.

     "Yes, thanks." Staci added. Will nodded in agreement.

     "Farewell, children. Good luck. And be careful, she's tricky!" He turned around once more. Staci counted us in to recite the given words.

     After we had said them, the man disappeared.

     The room narrowed back into a cave path, and the three of us stood.

     "Well, that was odd." Will said.

     "It sure was." Staci agreed.

     "Key . . ." I mumbled, starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

     "What was that, Kyle?" Staci asked.

     "Oh, nothing."

     "Staci, would you like to lead the way?" Will asked her, changing the subject.

     She smiled, picking the flashlight up off the ground. "You know I would . . ."

~~

Aunt Ellie's POV

     The married couple had fallen asleep in the back of the vehicle. We verified that they were just asleep when we heard them breathing.

     We had to wake them to tell them that we needed to drop them off back at their house, and they'd given Noah directions to their humble abode. They made us assure them that we would find their daughter before they exited the van.

     After they went inside, Noah started to drive down the road. "Where are we going now, exactly?" I asked.

     "I need to show you something." He said, and I didn't bother him again for the rest of the ride.