Epilogue

~~

I woke up, my entire body shaking with a strange feeling.

I grabbed my phone off the bedside table and dialed my girlfriend's number.

"H-Hello?" She spoke groggily, and she sounded like she'd just woken up.

"Hey, Emma, I'm sorry to bother you, I just had the weirdest dream..."

"No, it's fine." She said. "But that's funny, so did I."

"Well, basically, me, you, Staci and Will all went to my late aunt's house and spent the summer there. She like, had this maid named Autumn, and she was obsessed with me. She kidnapped you and we had to save you. It was this wild journey of monsters and magic and stuff, and it turned out that Autumn wasn't really Autumn. Long story short, Will got shot by some ogre beast and died. Staci and him stayed back while you and I jumped out through the waterfall of the cave where you were held hostage. The place blew up, and we both made it out alive. Staci did too, and then after we recovered, we went to Will's funeral. Then, in the end, Aunt Ellie got married to that guy that lives next door to me—Noah Johnson."

She was silent for a while. When she finally spoke, her voice was shaky.

"K-Kyle," she said. "I had that exact same dream."

Before I could say anything, I felt a cool metal object underneath my pillow. I pulled it out, and turned the lamp on. In my hand was a heart-shaped locket, a picture of my sleeping face inside.