6| Visions

After we'd ended the campfire and said our good-nights, I went straight to bed, knowing I'd have good dreams after being with Emma.

The last thing I remember was thinking about her beautiful smile and loving personality, when I suddenly was taken over by darkness.

~~

I woke to the sounds of ear-splitting screams and cries. I only had a second to glance at the digital alarm-clock before darting out of the room along with Will. It was 2:36 am.

The source was coming from next door; Emma and Staci's room. Oh God, no. Please no . . .

"What's going on?" Aunt Ellie shouted in panic, rushing in behind us.  "Is someone hurt?"

I was expecting the scene to be a lot worse.

Emma was sitting on Staci's bed, slowly rocking her back and forth. "It's okay, it was just a bad dream." She repeated in a comforting tone.

In the moonlight coming from the window, Staci looked terrified. Like, seriously, if you saw her, you'd think she'd just died and come back to life.

"Oh, Staci honey, what ever is the matter?" Aunt Ellie joined the girls and sat on the other side of Staci.

"Message . . . blood . . . gone." She choked out, in-between sobs.

"There, there, sweetie, it's okay.  I know nightmares can be scary." Aunt Ellie gave her a hug.

Aunt Ellie and Emma continued to comfort her until she finally calmed down. "She's okay now, you two can go back to bed."  Aunt Ellie began to lead Will and I out of the room, but Will pushed past her.

"Are you sure you're alright Staci?"

"Yeah," She sniffled. "Thanks Will."

Will gave her one last look (it was hard to tell because of the lighting, but I think it was doubt) and exited the room, along with Aunt Ellie and I.

~~

Staci's POV (starting from her dream)

I was in my bedroom at my house, lying on my bed, texting Emma about the first day of 10th grade. I typed:

i can't wait for tomorrow! it will be super cool to see all of our friends again, don't u think?

A few seconds later, Emma responded with a winky emoticon:

yeah, especially u know who.

I replied (as well with the winky emoticon):

i can just c u and kyle together in the future as a celebrity couple. u as a beautiful model, and kyle as a famous actor.

It took her a minute or two to text back.

lol, i wish, but idk if kyle likes me like that. he probably just wants to be friends.

I quickly typed:

well, i think he does, he is always flirting with u.  plus u r super cute, funny, and sweet.  if he doesn't like u 4 who u r, he doesn't deserve u!

Emma's next text read:

tysm staci!  u r the best bff any1 could ask 4! cya 2morrow!

I responded:

yep yep! so r u emma! c u 2morrow!

~~

I awakened due to the fact that it was so hot!

I quickly threw the comforter and sheets off of me. Phew, that's a little better.

I found myself lying awake for a few moments thinking about the dream I'd just had. Weird, I thought. I usually don't have dreams about stuff that hasn't happened yet. This is the third night in a row I have had a dream about doing something with Emma that is at least a few months away. Whether it's a costume party on Halloween, or a gift exchange at Christmas, it just seems weird getting these . . . visions. Ah, yes, that's the word I was looking for.

But the real question is... Was I predicting the future?

Haha, funny, Staci.  Like you could have a psychic superpower.

Eventually, I returned to my slumber. The dreams started off with circumstances I didn't recognize, and after each one, I would wake up with the feeling that they would happen sometime in the near future.

Then I had a nightmare.

I was running from something, and I would fall into a hole about every ten feet. I didn't know what was chasing me, just that I had to get away.

The scene suddenly changed. I was laying on my bed at Kyle's aunt's summer house, but something was terribly wrong. It felt like my heart had been ripped out after being stabbed in my chest several times.

When I looked over expectantly to see Emma in her bed, she wasn't there. But what I did see...