8| The Interrogation

Officer Garndett's POV

     Will had finished talking with Detective Velasquez after about ten minutes of silence between Kyle and I.  I didn't really know what to say to him.  For all I know, due to his condition, he's just making stuff up that he is completely oblivious about...

     Detective Velasquez jotted some more notes down and shuffled through a few of them, occasionally stopping to reread something or add to it. A few seconds later, she stood and stuffed her papers into a folder, then walked over to me. She was doing well even though she was still one of the newer officers. It was the beginning of her second year on the job. She is pretty organized and is good at getting information out of people. She really knows what she's doing.

     We excused ourselves and stepped outside to hear her summary of the situation. Well, at least from the information Will gave her.

     "Okay, what's the deal here?" I whispered, well-aware that someone could be listening.

     We each took a seat on the swing-chair that was set up in the corner of the porch and began discussing.

~~

Kyle's POV

     What felt like hours later, Officer Garndett and the detective came back in.  I set down the Rubrik's Cube I found myself playing with and offered my attention to the doorway where they stood.

     "Hi Kyle." The detective smiled at me, obviously trying to be as friendly as she could. "I'm Detective Velasquez." She held out her hand for me to shake.

     "Hi." I shook her hand and as I spoke, I made sure not to show any emotion in my voice so she would get that I wanted her to get straight to the point.

     "Do you think I could talk to you? That is, of course, if you are ready." She asked me.

     "Yes." I responded blankly, once again.

     "Okay, please follow me, if you would."

     She lead me out to the front porch and we sat on the swing-chair that I saw Aunt Ellie set up in the corner when my friends and I had first arrived at the place.

     "So . . . Kyle. Do you feel comfortable telling me about your relationship with Emma?" As soon as she asked that, I knew I was going to be talking with her for a while.

     "Uh, yeah. We're really good friends . . . just friends."

     "How long have you known each other? And how did you meet?" She continued.

     I remembered exactly. "It was in the third grade . . . She was new to the school and I was already friends with Will and Staci . . . Staci knew her somehow and uh, she introduced me and stuff. We started to become friends, then best friends, and then . . ." I hesitated.

     "And then what?"

     "Ah, no . . ." I chuckled silently to myself, regretting not telling Emma how I feel about her before . . . all of this happened.

     "It's okay if you don't want to tell me. But if you do, please go ahead.  I want you to know I won't judge or make fun of you in any way.  The information I collect from you is kept confidential from your friends. We only will use it to help sort out this situation." She assured me.

     "Only because its confidential . . . I like her." I responded after a long thought process. 

     She wrote that down and continued asking me questions starting from our childhood memories together, some with Will and Staci too, and then gradually they began leading up to this . . . let's say, event.

     About half an hour to an hour later, she said I could go back inside. Officer Garndett went back out with Detective Velasquez after I came inside. I walked over to Will who was staring off into space, most likely deep in thought.

     I took a seat next to him on the sofa. "Hey." I tried to start a conversation with him.

     He looked at me and then looked away, completely ignoring my greeting.

     After a minute or so, he finally responded, still not meeting my eyes. "She's in a coma."

     "What?"

     "Staci . . . There's something wrong with her. Something happened not only to Emma . . . But to Staci too.  They wouldn't let me go to the hospital with them." His voice cracked at the end.

     There was a long pause.  I'm sorry, Will."

     "And I'm sorry about Emma. I—" He stopped himself. "I hope they can find her."

     "Me too, Will. Me too." I closed my eyes and tried to hope for the best.