19| Rest in Peace

Emma's POV

     I woke up to the sound of beeping.

     Oh no.

     I remembered everything that happened. Being kidnapped, beaten, and jumping from the height of a hundred plus feet. My arms were bandaged up, and my head was screaming with pain.

     My father leapt from his seat and smiled. "Emma, sweetie, you're awake! Daron, get the nurse!"

     I watched as my older brother gave me a pitiful glance with his bright blue eyes before leaving the room.

     "H-Hi Dad." I croaked, sitting up slightly.

     "I'm so glad you're oka—"

     "Afternoon, Emma."  The doctor barged in.  "How do you feel?"

     "Horrible... Everything hurts." I groaned.

     "Where does it hurt the most?" She asked.

     "My head, arms, and hands."

     "Okay. All adequate." She jotted a few things down on her clipboard.

     "What happened?" I asked.

     "You hit your head pretty hard on a sharp rock when you jumped. It's  amazing that you survived."

     "How did I remember most of what happened . . . if I hit my head?" I said, rubbing the material of the thick medical cloth wrapped around my head.

     "It's a miracle, Emma." She grabbed my hand, analyzing the pulse oximeter.

     Hmm.

     I was calm for a few moments.

     But then, suddenly, I started to panic. "W-Where's Kyle?!"

     The doctor glanced at my father.

     "Pumpkin, he's in the room down the hall." Dad said, stroking my cheek.  "Don't worry, he's being taken care of."

     "I want to see him." I looked at the doctor.

     She hesitated. "His visiting hours are temporally closed, but he's getting the treatment he needs."

     "Is he okay?" That didn't help me whatsoever. Obviously, something was wrong. 

     Staci then entered the room.  "Oh my goodness . . . Emma, are you okay?" She jogged over to the bed as the doctor finished the exam.

     "Yeah, I think so. Have you seen Kyle?"

     She was silent.

     Oh god.

     She simply nodded. "Mhm."

     I couldn't help myself.

     I yanked every device or wire attached to me off and jumped out of bed. I was suddenly dizzy and could barely see anything as everyone rushed to stop me. I heard nurses running in the room and yelling, trying to hook me back up to the machines.