14| The Found One

Staci took out a pencil and notebook, and together, the three of us started planning out scenarios and possible ways to get up to the caves without dying.

     This was challenging, however.

     "Hmm."  Will observed the scene above us carefully, as did Staci and I.

     "Maybe we could . . . oh wait, never mind.  That wouldn't work because if we went up that trail . . .  Yeah, no."  Staci offered hesitantly.

    "We could try that little one over to the left."  Will suggested.

     "Um, no.  It's way too steep."  Staci said.

     "Well then, what are we going to—"  Will began.

     "Guys,"  I interrupted.  "You're missing the big picture, here."

     They stared at me, confused.

     "Come stand where I'm standing, and get a better perspective."

     They walked over to me and looked up, trying to comprehend what I was seeing.

     "I don't see anything,"  Staci sighed.  "C'mon Kyle, you're wasting our time."

     "Me neither, sorry buddy, but we really need to move quickly, we only have—"

     "You seriously don't see it?  It's the whole shape of the mountain!  Look!"  I protested.

     Staci came back over and gazed up once more, then asked frustratingly, "What is it—exactly—that you see, Kyle?"

     "A key!  Are you guys blind?"

     Staci's frown and disapproving look faded when she finally saw it and gasped.  "No way . . ."  She muttered.

     I stuck my tongue out at her, like a kindergartner, and said, "Told you so."

     She rolled her eyes and turned away from me.  "Which way do we go then, genius?"

     "There's an open path somewhere on the right side.  The front part of a key—the part that goes into the lock—is on the right side of this mountain, so we'll go there.  We just have to find it."

     "Alright then, let's go."  Will said, and they followed me up towards my planned destination. It was nice to be in charge for once.

~~

     When we finally got up there, we knew we were in the correct location.

     The problem was that we didn't know which cave entrance to go into first, as there were so many of them.

     "What now?"  Will asked me.

     "I don't know."  I scanned the beautiful scenery.  The waterfall was loud now that we were so close.

     I knew we were going to find Emma.

     "Staci?  Any ideas?"  I asked her.

     She was frozen in place, staring at something on the ground.