The Dentist: Chapter One

Chapter One

Azure

"Three cavities," the dentist said shaking her head. "Just how much candy have you had since the last time you were here?"

My cheeks burned. I did have a thing for grape and strawberry Nerds, but I sure as hell wouldn't admit that to my new dentist, that or the fact that I hated flossing.

"Do they provide you with floss at the shelter?" she asked through a teal mask.

I shifted in the hard plastic seat.

"I don't mean to make you uncomfortable," said the dentist with slight frown lines appearing on her forehead. "I'll be sure to send some home with you today, okay?"

Nodding, I turned toward the window. Beyond the thin glass pane were run down buildings and overfilled dumpsters.

I hated accepting charity work, but if it weren't for Pinzel Dentistry, no one at the shelter would have access to dental care.

"Will you be graduating this June?"

With a small mirror in my mouth examining my molars, I managed to grunt, "Mmmm hmmmm."

"That's good, Azure. Do you have plans to go to college in the fall?"

I shrugged my shoulders.

"You really should try to continue your education."

You should try to understand that after I graduate, I won't have a place to live anymore. The shelter didn't allow girls to stay after their 18th birthday and mine was three weeks after high school graduation. I don't have time to worry about college.

She removed the mirror. "We'll need to make an appointment for you to come back in next week. These cavities need to be taken care of sooner rather then later."

I pinched the skin between my thumb and my pointer finger. "Okay."

"No need to be nervous," she said with a tooth smile. "It won't hurt one bit."

Arching an eyebrow, I pressed my lips together. "I don't believe it."

The dentist laughed. "Tell you what, I'll write you a prescription for a little something to help with the anxiety and I'll use the gas while I'm working in your mouth."

"Thanks, I guess," I said quietly.

She frowned. "You're awfully quiet today, Azure."

"Sorry," I apologized. "Just a lot on my mind."

"What's going on," she asked, her eyes full of concern.

Well my best friend is missing, I thought to myself. I'm worried she ran away and that I'll never see her again.

"Such a shame, Amber was such a nice girl," said the dentist.

A cold sensation filled the room and a knot settled in my stomach. "How did you know it was Amber?"

The dentist spun around with a white cloth in her hand. She smiled and leaned in, "Because, I'm the one who killed her."

Before I could scream, she placed the cloth over my mouth and pressed hard.

********

Welcome to THE DENTIST, a short and very disturbed story.

Look for another update soon and let me know what you think of the first chapter with a quick comment and by clicking that little star!

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo

P.S. OPEN WIDE! ;)

 OPEN WIDE! ;)