Chapter Eight

THE BIG PLAN

I awoke to the warming kiss of the dawn on my face, giving me comfort and joy. My eyes fluttered open to see the sun just beyond the mountains. From its position, I would say it was seven-thirty. I lay my head back down and spread my arms across the pillows. Then something hit my left hand. I look over and I see a folded stationary. I pick it up, and it reads……

Dear Annabeth,

Last night was the best night of my life, honestly. There is nothing in my mind that could possibly overcome what is between us. I will always be there for you, but we will not be able to be together if once you are married to Prince Eric. However, I will never give up on you. The choice of marriage is yours, Annabeth, I will never stop loving you, until the end of time. I will be at the wedding, to wish you a happy time, but no matter where you go I will always find you.

 Love,

Jonathan

All memories of last night came rushing back to me. The joy, the rush, the love…., most of all the love. I have never felt this warm and giddy in my entire life. And Jonathan said he loved me, he loves me!!!!!!!! Now I know why he has been away for so long, where he says been. Jonathan is now all mine. And I will treasure him, forever and always.

But, what am I to do about Prince Eric(it feels funny saying Prince again), and the wedding?!?!?!?! I am to marry Prince Eric at noon. It is too late to cancel the wedding, and I cannot announce my second thoughts at the wedding……. Or can I?

* * *

It is three hours later, and I am in my room dressing for the wedding, which is now horrifying me. Scarlet is here with me and I have now told her all of the events of last night.

“This is amazing! You and Jonathan actually confessed your love to one another. I am so happy for you.” she said as she hugged me tightly.

“I know, but I need you to understand the plan, and tell Jonathan about it as soon as you can.”

“I got it. I knock over a display, so you can talk to Prince Eric about your feelings, then tell Jonathan to speak up when the time comes. I know, alright. But what if your father has Jonathan thrown in the dungeon for his ‘out burst’?”

That thought had not yet occurred to me. “Then I will stand in the way of him and say that I am happy with whom I have chosen. And if he does not like that, then he will have to through me in the dungen as well.” A look of shock came over Scarlet’s face. She was starting to say something, but then she started to stutter the way she always did when she was scared. “Bbbbbut AAAAAAnnnnabeth…….”

I had to cut her off. “Scarlet, I will be fine. You know me well enough that I can withold some strengeth to live through a dungeon. And I do not think that my father would through his only child in jail for falling in love.”

Scarlet looked calmer now, but I could tell the thought has not yet left her mind.

Before I could give her another reassurance line, my father came into room.

“Ah, my dearest Annabeth, how beautiful you look this evening. I am impressed Scarlet, you have outdone yourself this time. She is stunning!”

Then Scarlet pulled the modest card. “Thank you, your majesty. It is much simpler when I do my best work on someone as beautiful as Annabeth.”

And this is where I tell her she is beautiful as well. “But Scarlet, you are also as beautiful as me. Even more beautiful, if I do say so my self.”

My father looked between the two of us, then whispered to Scarlet, “Forgive my daughter’s outburst, she is so nervous she does not what she is saying.” Louder now, “Well, I am off to the wedding, do not be late. Bye my dear daughter.”

I could not believe my father just said that Scarlet was not beautiful. I became so angery in those few moments that I was ready to scream. And I would have if I had not seen how stunned Scarlet looked.

Her eyes were wide and filled with distraught. She stood still as a stone, unmoving, and lifeless. I moved to her to comfort her, but she rejected me. She has never done that before.

“Do not worry, I will tell Jonathan the plan and I will knock over the display.”

“No Scarlet, don’t……..”

“No, Annabeth. If I do not leave now, I will not make it in time.” And then Scarlet walked out the door, and I could hear her shoes moving along the hall’s florring. I have never seen her so upset. She was already sad about not finding a husband yet because of her ’lack of beauty’. Now that my father said that she was not beautiful, she will possibly lose all hope of ever marrying.

How could my father say that my best friend(Jonathan has moved from best friend to true love). Scarlet is practicly my sister, airgo practicly his daughter. I will never forgive him for doing that to her, never.

I stared at the mirror and the fimilar stranger again, only this time, the stranger I now recognized as myself. My hair is in a tight braided bun with no decorations in it. My face as no make-up except for a delicate line of ink above my lashes. The dress I am now wearing is just tight enough to show of my fenching mucles. I now looked into my eyes to see the golden shade of discise, but I was not hiding. My eyes held a mixture of emotions, love, anger, pitty, guilt, and above all, bravery. I am going to need that last one to get through this wedding.