Chapter Two

THE FESTIVAL

   The carriage ride to the festival was ten to fifteen minutes long. Afterwards, our arrival was announced to the whole village. Everyone was here to celebrate my sixteenth birthday. So many things came upon my senses in those few moments. The beautiful, colored lights coming from the thousands of lanterns hanging along the fences. The mouth-watering smells of baked apple pies, fresh pumpkin soup, and oatmeal-raisin bread. The sound of instrumentals playing one of my favorite songs.

   I could not believe anything that I saw. Everything was too wonderful to be true. I felt so happy, I ran into the crowd and started to dance. Some villagers joined me in the dance so I would not be alone. I would expect my father to be angered by this, but he stood there, clapping along, with a smile on his face. Once the song was over, I became curious. "You did not find arrogant?"

   "No dear. Whatever makes you have the greatest time, I would be glad to approve.", he replied with reassurance. Going over his words again, I could tell he was approving and disapproving to things.

   He departed from me, and I left to search for Jonathan. After about thirty seconds, I found him by the arm wrestling table. That was easy.

   "Happy Birthday Annabeth. Lovely party you threw this evening."

   "I did not. This is an annual celebration with two meanings this year." He laughed.

   "I am sure it is", the music changed to a slow song. ", would you like to dance?"

   Was he joking?!? Of course I would like to dance with him!! Hold on, calm yourself. "I would like that very much." He smiled, and took my hand.

   Jonathan put his arms around my waist, and I mine around his neck. After a moment, time just stopped. I could not see anything but him, standing beside me, staring into my eyes, and I could stare into his. Those lovely, brown eyes that reminded me of chocolate brownies, fresh from the oven. Everything was perfect, . . . . . . until the music stopped.  

   Once that happened, my father came to me. "Sweetheart, come with me,. I have something to tell you."

   "What is it father?"

   "You will see soon enough.", he answered before taking me away. I looked back to Jonathan, but I could not see him. I tried to go back, but my father was too strong. Soon, we in front of the whole village, this was going to be an announcement. 

   "Welcome people of Sabra!", he said in his big, booming voice. "We all gathered here this evening to celebrate my daughter's sixteenth birthday." The audience applauded as if they were thunder. "You all either bring gifts or good wishes, and I appreciate both. Also, tonight we have visitors all the way from Contra. King Andrew and his son Prince Eric." Another clap of 'thunder'. "Andrew and I have been friends since the beginning of our childhood. Isn't that right Andrew?" An enormous man with red hair walked up to my father. Behind him, was a handsome, young man with strawberry-blond hair and blue eyes. He was no Jonathan, but he was nice to look at.

   "Yes, that is true..", said the red-headed man known as Andrew. "..we used to have so many adventures together."

   "That we did. Annabeth, this is Prince Eric." He gestured toward the strawberry-blond, Eric. Eric smiled a perfect smile at me and said, "Nice to meet you Annabeth." His voice was soft and warm.

   "And you Eric.", I replied politely. We bowed as we greeted each other.

   "And now,..." , my father announced. "...my surprise to you Annabeth,. I, King Alexander, announce the engagement of Annabeth and Eric."

   I wanted to scream right there.