Chapter Six

SOME TIME LATER

Once we were home, I decided to prepare for my next training session with Jonathan. My father strode toward the library from is meeting with is royal advisers anyway. I was ready to be rid of this inferior gown, when I saw Scarlet sitting upon my bed awaiting my arrival.

“So, did things go well with Prince Eric?” , she asked with a great deal amount of suspicion.

“Splendid. The date was splendid. The time we had spent together was pleasant. He was a perfect gentlemen. He treated me like the lady I am supposed to become. Which I strongly disliked.” I might have added that last line too desperately.

“You are babbling. You only do that when you are lying.”

“I do not. I sometimes babble when the is a revolting odor in the room.”

She sniffed the air to test it’s scent. “Unless you have grown a disliking to the smell of fresh apple pie, then you are lying.” darn the wonderful chef!

I could not hold it any longer, she knows me too well. “ALRIGHT!!!! We had more than just I date. Well, that is what is was, but it felt like more than that to me. We have so much in common. Our interests, hobbies, likes, dislikes. The only thing we do not have in common is love for battle.”

Scarlet gave me her wide-eye stare, and dropped her mouth partly to show her emotion of shock. “Well, now it is my turn to tell you some devastating news. Jonathan has become ill, and will not be back on his feet until after next week.”

I could not absorb any part of that truly devastating news. Today was our archery training. It was my favorite battle method. ”No!!!! He is the only one who will keep me from falling in love with Prince Eric!!!”

“I am sorry Annabeth, but he will not be well, even in time for the wedding. He cannot come. I am sorry.”

This is a disaster. Without Jonathan to train with, I would have no distraction from Prince Eric. I tried to think of another way to remove thoughts of him from my mind, but I had no clue how to do so.

                             *                                                     *                                           *

The days went by, like leaves blowing gracefully in the gentle wind. The dates I had with Prince Eric were splendid, and they kept getting better and better.

Our second date was a gourmet dinner hosted by our fathers. We sat on separate side of the dining table. We kept to ourselves, and never had eye contact.

Our third date was horse back riding through the forest, and ………hunting. Prince Eric was also a hunter. I could not believe any of it. At that moment, he asked me if I liked hunting. My answer was obvious. I told him everything about my secret training with Jonathan, except the part where I loved him.

Our other dates were forgotten, but I felt a pit of longing. A longing for the one I truly loved. I missed the hours of time we used up for our training, and the picnics we would have afterwards. I also missed those early days when Jonathan only started to train me, when I had no idea how to hold a sword. The moment I missed the most, was the very first moment I met Jonathan. The feeling of a new beginning, a new friendship, a new life.

But alas, Jonathan was gone, and I am to marry Prince Eric tomorrow. I might as well start addressing him as just Eric.

Now, I am in my room brushing my hair as I do every evening before I retire to my loving bed. I have nearly begun to forget about Jonathan, and now enjoy the thought was marrying Eric. The day has come to an end I am now tired.

I got up to walk toward my bed when I heard a knocking at my window. The curtains were closed, so I could not see who was behind them. Cautiously took my steps toward the window, ready to strike the being. In a swift motion, I drew the curtains back to see beyond them,

And I saw a pair of brown eyes.