Chapter Five

THE FIRST DATE

After a long period of time used by Scarlet to make me look "presentable" for my lake-side picnic, I arrived at the foot of the castle's main steps to see my father pacing.

"Ah, there you are! I was worried sick." He just gets so emotional.

"I am truly sorry father, but I was only preparing for the picnic."

"Speaking of which, we must hurry, for we are dreadfully late. Come, come ." He took my hand and tugged me along the way to the carriage awaiting our departure. Once we were settled, I heard the driver whip the reins and felt the horse tug forward to begin the ride.

Five minutes into the ride, my father began to speak, "Are you quite sure you are ready for this?"

That seemed like an odd question. I wonder where this goes. "Whatever do you mean father?"

"If you are not ready to wed so soon, then you do not have marry Prince Eric."

I am baffled by the sound of his words. For once, my father understands my thoughts without me having to argue with him. "Really father? I do not?"

"Of course! All you have to do is tell me you are not ready, and I will tell Andrew to postpone the wedding a year or two."

And truth behold, I am incorrect, again. "Oh no father, you do not have to waste your breath for that. Every thing is fine, really. I am just still adjusting to the fact that I am engaged, that is all." That statement is only half correct.

"Well, good. Because all the arrangements have been made, and I do not want to have to cancel all of it tonight." We remained silent the rest of the way to the lake.

                             *                                 *                                  *

Instantly, the rustic smell of the forest surrounding the lake exploded upon me the moment I stepped onto the grass. Everything about being outdoors made me happy.

"Alexsander!!!!!!" I heard a booming voice coming from the distance, and I knew straight away that it could be only one man. King Andrew.

"Good to see you Andrew. I see you can still hear from a mile away." my father replied with a tone I have never heard him use before.

"I see you still have someone keeping you from showing on time. Hello dear Annabeth. Alexsander, you must tell me all the details of this wonderful kingdom you so humbly rule, let us start with.....", and they walked gracefully away, as if they had no care in the world.

Now with my father off my back, I strode along the perimeter of the lake lost in my thoughts. I would have stayed that way all day, if I had not noticed the beautifully set picnic blanket laying on the edge of the bank. The elegant silverware sparkled in the sun, and the dishes seemed to shine. I picked up a plate to study the detailing, but instead I found the strange woman from the mirror again.

She was different this time. Instead of cascading down, her chocolate brown hair was put in a tight bun. Her once tan lips were now pink(I hate pink). The only thing that was the same about her from last night was her eyes. Those same eyes that have been with me from the beginning of my life. Piercing, experienced, tortured, dark golden eyes. We both sighed at the same thought. Is this truly me? Am I meant to be a princess? Am I truly meant to be a queen? Then suddenly, a new pair of eyes appeared with the strangers'. A pair of blue-gray eyes. And they came with a voice.

"Lovely, are they not?", Prince Eric had asked.

I jumped, for I had not meant to meet him by reflection. He noticed he had startled me so he apologized, "I am truly sorry, i did not mean to frighten you. I merely wished to surprise you."

"And what a surprise it was. You had me jumping with excitement.", I replied in an attempt to ease the tension. And it worked.

Prince Eric had the same booming laugh his father had. He seemed more glad today than he was last night. "So I see.", then his smile started to fade away. "Listen, about the announcement from last night, I had no idea about the engagement. When we left from our kingdom to come here, I thought father was just coming to visit an old friend. I was shocked about the engagement."

"I know. I could tell by the look upon your face. It seemed to have belonged to a murder witness."

Prince Eric laughed at that quip as well, "I never wanted to marry after the first meeting with a girl, so I tried to convince my father to allow me more time with you. He agreed to let us have ten dates before the wedding. Starting with this one."

I looked at him with surprise in my eyes. "It was your idea of the dates. That is.......", I tried to think of word describe the thought of a man I wished not to marry.".....thoughtful of you. I never wanted to marry after first sight either, but my father would never allow dates unless some one he trusts suggests it. Which in this case would be your father."

This time he did not laugh. Prince Eric smiled and nodded and said, "I know. It was the only way I knew that would work correctly."

I pondered for a moment from my next reply. "Well, may I say you are one of the most intelligent young men I have ever met."

He bowed his head in respect. "I appreciate that compliment, and welcome it with open arms. Shall we dine?"

"Yes, we shall."

The entire picnic was full of conversation, games, and stories. The village clock stroke three, and the date had come to an end. And at that moment our fathers had finally come into view. Mine was the first speak.

"Annabeth, it is time for us to return to the castle.” Where have they been this whole time?

Andrew supported his statement, "Eric, we must leave as well. Alexsander, we shall clean up here. You and Annabeth may go home and we shall see you both tomorrow night for dinner. What time would you suggest dear friend?”

“Well, I would think that eight o’ clock would be suffice for a dinner date.”, my father responded.

“Then tomorrow at eight it shall be. Eric, do say your goodbye’s.” , Andrew said to his son before turning to the picnic.

Then my father spoke, “And Annabeth, do be quick. I have a meeting with my royal court within the hour .”

I turned to Prince Eric to say my good bye. “It was a pleasure dining with you this afternoon, Prince Eric. I look forward to tomorrow evening.”

“As do I, Princess Annabeth,” he replied with a composed voice. “Have a good night.” Then he took my hand and gently kissed the back of it. But there was something else in that touch, a feeling a could not describe.

I found my voice in time to say, “And to you.” Then I turned toward the carriage without looking back.

Once in the carriage, I tried to name the feeling I felt when Prince Eric kissed my hand. I could not find it’s name. I looked through all my memories from beginning to end, then I stopped at the fencing session Jonathan and I had yesterday afternoon. The emotions I had felt at that moment were tired, persistence, victory, and………….love. The same buzz I had felt when Eric, I mean Prince Eric held my hand, was when Jonathan did the same.

I am falling in love with the prince.