Chapter 23

Nathan's POV *

We were ready. An army was ready. I looked down from the elevated hill I was on. There weren't too many fighters, but we had about three dozen powerful ones. I still couldn't figure out why Jay was so set on helping us get Lana back, but whatever. I didn't care at the moment.

"Are we ready?" I looked behind me and scowled. Great. It's Garrett.

"Not my command to hold." I responded while turning away. I knew he didn't have anything to do with this, but he was a good person to blame. It seemed logical and I couldn't pass up an open opportunity to squash his sick face in. It was just too damn tempting.

"That would be my command to hold though," I heard Jay's obnoxious voice behind me. Yeah, I enjoyed that little bonding over beer moment we had, but right now I was pissing my own self off, I don't think he could even imagine the annoyance he was reeking with.

"So when do we go," the light of the sun was just slightly peeking over the rough horizon. I rubbed my eyes, trying desperately to get the fatigue out. I hadn't caught a wink of sleep since she was gone, I barely even had any food in my system. Could I live off the calories beer offered for the next ten hours? Oh hell yeah.

"Now should work out just fine." He nodded his head and left. I still felt Garrett's strong presence behind me.

"What in the name of that girl Willow that James keeps ranting about do you want from me?" I shouted at him as I turned around to face his weasel like face. What in the world did my sister see in this bastard?

"It's more like an apology I guess," he scratched his neck and started fidgeting with his thumbs. Wait. Hold the fuck up. I stood there with my mouth fully hanging open, quite an invitation to a wondering fly or two. "I'm sorry for threatening her that day at the store, I didn't know what was going on through my head then."

"What were you doing in the store by the way?" That question had been seriously itching away at me since I'd met him at the store that day.

"I had to pick up a preg- um something." I got up and slowly walked up towards him. I caught a slight off look in his eyes. Good, I was making him nervous. He was hiding something.

"Are you not telling me something Garrett?" The force in my voice surprised me as it came out, I didn't think I could sound that intimidation.

"I've known this for a while now, we just weren't sure." He sighed and rubbed his already tense features with the palms of his hand. "Just don't lose your mind when I tell you."

"No promises." I sent him a teasing smile and set back against the wooden trunk of the tree next tome.

"She's pregnant." I felt like spitting out the non existing water in my mouth.

"W-what?" For once in my entire life I was completely speechless.

"Jess, she's pregnant." I nodded and remained wide eyes, my sister. For centuries I'd taken care of her. Now she was going to take care of her own. A baby, it would be human. But still nevertheless it was still a baby.

"Congratulations." I could see the shock written in his face, from the way the muscles in his face loosened the contraction they all were previously holding, I could tell he really expected me to punch him.

"Thank you." Another memorable event that would go down in historical records happened then. Garrett smiled at me and patted my shoulders. He left shortly after and I sighed while looking up at the sky.

"I can already see the pigs flying," I muttered while getting up. It was time, I could practically feel it rushing throughout my entire body. Today I'd get back the real angel that lived among us.