Chapter 3

EDITED

"Lana wear this!" Carmen threw a short black dress towards me. I glared at the little thing only imaging how colorful Nathan's thoughts would be with me in that short thing.

"No! I'm not wearing that!" I protested throwing the slinky material at Anna who had just arrived moments ago. "Why can't I got like this?" I motioned to my jeans and heavy sweater.

"Because then you won't look sexy! You want him to think you're sexy. He's quite a hot guy too. He must have high expectations so you want to impress him." I sighed and rubbed my eyes. She was determined to get me into something I wouldn't normally wear and that was final. I felt like a child throwing a tantrum right now.

"You know Carmen," Anna cut in. "She's still a human being and a woman. That means that she has self respect. Don't force her to wear that clingy thing." Carmen muttered a fine and scurried into my closet to get something I'd actually agree with. I groaned and jumped on my awaiting bed. How was I going to do this?

"You okay there Lana?" I looked over and saw Anna looking at me with pity in her eyes. "You don't like him do you?" I didn't say anything and stared at her blankly. "Lana I know you and from the look in your eyes I can instantly tell you aren't okay with this. What did he do? Did he force you to do anything?" I shook my head and looked out my window.

"He didn't force me, Carmen arranged it." At the mention of her name Carmen came out with a pile of clothes in her hands. I got a headache just looking at the pile of various colors and styles.

"Carmen?"

"Yeah?" She shuffled the clothing so she was facing me.

"Just go easy on me." I pleaded. She gave me a deep smirk and shook her head.

"No promises."

~

After many hours of picking, modeling, waxing, and getting worked on by Carmen we were finally all done. Well at least I hoped we were done. I was sitting on my bed while Carmen was looking me over; standing on her toes to peer over my back and bending down to inspect me.

"I think you're good." She finally said. I looked down at her and saw a shine in her eyes that I had never seen before. I felt slightly guilty about not being more helpful in this considering her past. She deserved better than that stupid college. They expelled her for cheating, when in reality she was being bullied severely. My fists scrunched up just thinking about it.

"Lana! What are you doing! It's going to wrinkle your skirt!" I instantly relaxed. I needed her happy for a moment.

"What time is he coming?" Anna said from the bed she was lounging on. I opened my mouth to reply, but Carmen beat me to it.

"Anytime now Anna! Oh my god this is so exciting Lana hasn't been on a date since, well since the-"

"Okay, okay let's not talk about that." I interrupted Carmen and she gave me an apologetic look. She knew how hard it was for me when people mentioned the incident.

"As I was saying Anna and I will be leaving."

"Wait wha-" before poor Anna could even say anything Carmen had her by the hand and was practically dragging her while descending down the stairs. I heard a door close and the engine of Carmen's old Ford wheezing as they pulled out of the driveway.

I should have expected that one from Carmen. I still couldn't figure out why her actions surprised me so much. It's not like she's unpredictable. I looked down at what I was wearing and breathed out a sigh of relief. It wasn't too bad. In fact I would say it was cute for another occasion. Carmen had gotten me into a floral skirt that reached the top of my knees and a soft pale white blouse. It was simple and appropriate. What really made me happy about it was that it wasn't small, tight, or revealing like the other choices Carmen had selected.